Cannot Play Video on Mandriva 2008

Guest schastlivtsev

Guest schastlivtsev

Whenever I open any video file on Xine, Movie Player or MPlayer, they simply crash or display an error message.

Xine and MoviePlayer simply crash. I can hear some fraction of seconds of the beginning but after that they just close up.

M-Player shows an error message showing that it cant play the particular file.

Do I need to install some other packages?

The Mandriva 2008 release notes also mention enabling settings for the Compiz Fusion environment. I enabled that too using the CCSM but even then it crashes.

Please help!

Regards,

Schastlivtsev.

You can toy a bit with the various xine/mplayer outputs (switching from "xv" to "gl" or "gl2"), but the definite solution is surely enough getting rid of compiz(fusion). It's nothing more than utterly useless eyecandy, as well as a notoriously bad window manager.

Guest schastlivtsev

The anti-compiz idea works perfectly fine.

All of them run wihtout any glitches.

I've heard stories and seen videos of compiz changing Videos into foldable cardboards and bending them around corners of its famous cube... I guess a graphics card is needed for that isnt it? So, was just curious. Anyways, some doubts have been cleared. Thank you!

• 1 month later...
I had a similar problem, which I solved by disabling compiz. For me it's either the DVD playback, or compiz , and I prefer the former. What about those jumping windows anyway, I got sick of them in a day or two...

Hope you don't mind to get back to this date... I need to disable compiz cuz my video didn't work right... I am not sure whether or not my compiz is running...

Thanks..