Printer Setup freezes

Lester

I have a Thinkpad X22 with Mandriva 2006. When I installed I did not have a printer - but an Epson Inkjet seems to have been installed as my printer.

The printer configuation option does not run. It starts and the window opens then it freezes.

I have an HP Deskjet 840c attached via UPS. And there is a program to monitor it - but that program says there is not a driver present.

I installed the HP printer using CUPS; but now I cannot get CUPS to run. [or I did some installation of the printer with CUPS]

IS there a way to reinstall the Mandriva printer configuration? Or should I look to upgrading to a difference version of Mandriva?

Charles

According to the release notes here: Mandriva/2006/Notes

Printerdrake installs the HPLIP software fully automatically if it detects a supported device connected to the USB or the network (when choosing "Printer directly connected to local network" or "Network printer (TCP/Socket)"). Then it can print and scan (on multi-function devices) as usual and additional functionality is available via the "hp-toolbox" (Menu: System -> Monitoring -> HP Printer Toolbox).
So if you have the most recent version (HPLIP 0.9.5) available for Mandriva 2006 installed, and you are still having problems... I would suggest upgrading your system to Mandriva 2008. Edited by Greg2

That sounds like a good idea to me. Does an upgrade from 2006 to 2008 mean I need to save files [ by that I mean my documents] and be prepared to reload those files or will just the operating system be upgraded?

Do you know if 2008 has Nvu and gFTP? I am using those with a web page I have now. And need to be sure of continuity in use of those programs.

Charles

Don't upgrade from 2006 to 2008 this goes wrong, do a new install of 2008 and format only "/" not "/home". And all your settings and documents stay intact.

NVU is replaced by KOMPOZER, works the same, looks the same is the same. gFTP is also in 2008

Does an upgrade from 2006 to 2008 mean I need to save files [ by that I mean my documents] and be prepared to reload those files

Sorry, but I frequently misuse the word upgrade, when I should say new install. I would suggest you follow willie's instructions, and do a new install. For the record, when I do a new install, I copy my ~/home to another drive. Then I format the entire drive (or Linux section of drive), then after the install, I move the docs and files back that I want to keep.

I use this method because I do a lot of cross-compiling for different systems in my ~/home. This gives me a chance to clean house. :)