Red Hat 8 Update of Kernel....

Last night I lucked out in getting into Up2Date... :D ... and there were tons of updates, especially the kernel from 2.4.18-blah-blah to 2.4.20 as well as updating everything + the "kitchen sink" in KDE to 3.0.4. So even on a cable modem connection it took quite a while.

My question has to do with this: apparently the newer kernel version is there somewhere, but when I click on up2date it gives me an added tab with the message stating something to the effect (I'm at work and not at my computer at home, so bear with the paraphrase): "You are using the kernel 2.4.18-blah-blah but the newest kernel you have is 2.4.20. Please reboot to test the new kernel."

Well, I rebooted several times but it seems that I am still using the older kernel version. What do I do to get RH8 to use the newest version that I just updated with? I witnessed Rh8's Up2Date do the automatic install of everything, including the kernel, but it seems that RH8 may not be using it yet.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard L.

I don't have RH installed anymore, but if I remember right, you have to choose the new kernel at bootup. RH will load the default kernel unless told otherwise. See if the new kernel option is in the lilo/grub loader screen

The problem may be that I'm not booting from an MBR, but from a floppy disk. So how do I choose the new kernel from bootup?

I decided to have WinXP-Pro on the first hard drive, the second with RH8 and Xandros. I boot into RH8 and Xandros, each with their own floppy.

(Now on my laptop I'm booting with LiLo into MDK9.1, Libranet 2.8, and WinXP-Home.)

I appreciate any and all advice and suggestions!

Thanks, mdg!

Regards,

Richard

This is really just off the top of my head, I think if you boot with a floppy, there's an option to load different parameters. You should see a message that says something like "If you wish to add default options to the boot command, enter them here"

I think that's where you would specify your new kernel, but I don't know what to write

Perhaps some RH users will step in with more concrete information

The only place where a "Make Floppy Tool" might be is in the Hardware Browser located in the Red Hat Menu > System Tools > Hardware Browser.

I also found it under /usr/bin/hwbrowser and /usr/share/hwbrowser.

Trying to open in up the GUI way in the menu and the command line way does not work. It crashes each time it starts to open.

What would be the steps to make a boot floppy with the newest kernel using command lines?

Thanks.

Guest Jose

I did the same thing last night. In fact, I unintentionally updated the new kernal. I misunderstood the message Up2date was giving me. Anyway, when I rebooted the computer both kernals show up. Since I did not want to update the .18 kernal I was wondering how to delete the new kernal? Do I use the rpm -e kernalname?

Guest tezca

look, when you updated the new kernel it put it in your /boot partition, first don't try and delete a kernel unless your absoulutly sure of what your doing it dosn't take much space,

main thing is you have to know which one you are booted into

from the promt type

# uname -r

it will tell you which you are booted into

now cd /boot/grub

open up the grub.conf

you'll see two instances of linux kernels

these kernel numbers are examples only

# boot= /dev/hda

default =0

timeout =30

splash image=(hd0,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title RedHat Linux (2.4.18-9)

root (hd0,4)

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-9 ro root=LABEL=/

initrd /initrd-2.4.18-9.img

title RedHat Linux (2.4.20-6)

root (hd0,4)

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-6 ro root=LABEL=/

initrd /initrd-2.4.20-6.img

title

Windows XP

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

chainloader + 1

title

Sun Solaris 9

rootnoverify (hd1,0)

chainloader + 1

title Mandrake Linux

root (hd1,4)

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18.mdk ro root=LABEL=/

initrd /initrd-2.4.18.mdk.img

if your set up to boot from a floppy just get the kernels number boot into the kernel you want and make a boot disk....

it'd be a lot easier though if you just installed Grub on the bootloader!

Setup for one of my Stations

2 30 gb HD

grub bootloader that boots the following operating systems

winxp

Sun Solaris 9

RedHat Linux 9

Mandrake Linux 9.1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

BOYCOTT PARTITION MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!