Five boot options

Guest SimonH

Guest SimonH

I've installed 2008 and got two boot options. Mandriva 2008 and failsafe. After performing an update i now have five boot options. Which should i use and what do they all do? I've copied and pasted the contents of menu.lst below.

timeout 2

color black/cyan yellow/cyan

gfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/gfxmenu

default 0

title linux

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/sda1 resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent vga=788

initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/sda1 resume=/dev/sda5

title failsafe

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/sda1 failsafe

title desktop586 2.6.22.9-1

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv BOOT_IMAGE=desktop586_2.6.22.9-1 root=/dev/sda1 resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent vga=788

initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv.img

title desktop586 2.6.22.18-1

kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.18-desktop586-1mdv BOOT_IMAGE=desktop586_2.6.22.18-1 root=/dev/sda1 resume=/dev/sda5 splash=silent vga=788

initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.22.18-desktop586-1mdv.img

Edited by SimonH

The reason you have more options will be because a newer kernel got installed, and the old kernel still exists. This is safe, because if it upgraded and the new kernel didn't work, you wouldn't be able to boot the old kernel to get back into your system.

Normally, when a new kernel is installed, the new kernel will become the default entry on the system, so you can leave it to boot after five seconds or whatever the timeout is. The default entry will be highlighted anyway and will be the one that the system is choosing to boot with if you don't do anything with the keyboard.

To find out which one is new, open a console window and type:

rpm -qa | grep -i kernel

and it will list what kernel packages are installed. The default entry right now is the one called "linux".

Normally, when a new kernel is installed, the new kernel will become the default entry on the system, so you can leave it to boot after five seconds or whatever the timeout is.

Not on my system. The old kernel remains the default (which is totally reasonable, maybe you don't want to go and replace kernel to users without their explicit permission or act). Of course, it can be easily configured through the MCC (Boot -> Set up boot system -> Next, and modifying the new kernel to default).