Gnome: my mess-up of the day

Peep

I need to learn to leave my computer alone when it's working just fine. :( i tried to install new themes for gnome, and then gnome crashed. every time i try to start gnome, i get an error right away. this is gnome 2.2.0 on mandrake 9.1. in the ~/.xsession-errors file, i have the following:

(gnome-session:1675): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'BluecurveRcStyle'.

(gnome-session:1675): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'BluecurveRcStyle'.

(gnome-session:1675): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gobject.c: line 615 (g_object_new): assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object type)' failed

does that mean anything to anyone? there's probably a way to just reset themes to the default, but i haven't figured it out. going into a different window manager and running gnome-theme-manager didn't seem to work.

Either go into another wm or if you're in gdm, kdm, xdm, or mdk-kdm, press Alt>F2 and login as the user you're trying to fix. Then with vi, mc or your favorite editor open .gnome2/session-manual ,and if there's an entry with Bluecurve in it, remove it. If not I don't know.....

Mine currently looks like;

[Default]

num_clients=2

0,RestartStyleHint=3

0,Priority=10

0,RestartCommand=gkrellm 

1,RestartStyleHint=3

1,Priority=15

1,RestartCommand=aterm -T Aterm -tr +sb -bw 0 -bg black -fg orange

If I wanted to remove gkrellm, I would edit and save it to look like;

[Default]

num_clients=1 

1,RestartStyleHint=3

1,Priority=15

1,RestartCommand=aterm -T Aterm -tr +sb -bw 0 -bg black -fg orange

Don't forget to change the num_clients=.

ok, i have tried both bits of code that bvc posted as my .gnome2/session-manual file, but still no dice. i notice that the .xsession-errors file now has this line in it:

SESSION_MANAGER=local/pico:/tmp/.ICE-unix/3403

pico is my computer's name and i have been using icewm off and on with gnome... but i don't think icewm would have anything to do with gnome. (i was using metacity, not icewm in gnome).

to get the .xsession-errors file, as soon as gnome crashes at the splash screen, i ctrl-alt-f1, then use nano to edit the file so i can see what everything is.

any other ideas? thanks.