Problems installing Hugs [solved]

I use Linux Mandriva and KDE session.

My problem happened when i was trying to install the Haskell software.

I did the “make†command and everything worked well, i even double checked and as you can see in the image it's okay.

The problem is the “make install†command that it worked a while until it happened the error you can see in the image, i think the problem is the fact that it wants to create a file in a dir where it says i don't have permission, even if i am the only user of this pc.

Then i remember to use the “sudo†command which i remember that lets execute and install files with all the permissions open.

The problem is that i entered the password, not the one i use for log in but the one certains progams ask me when i attempt to run something that requires admnistrative previliges. I enter the root password as it is called and it works everywhere except with sudo.

I enter the password times and times again and it doesn't accept it.

Here's the image of my shell with the problem i talked about.

Shell_pic

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

The password you use with sudo is your normal user password. Then it would have installed it.

And yes, the problem of it attempting to install was due to lack of privileges, that is why the make install failed. If you try using your normal user login password with sudo, chances are it will work - in fact I'm sure of it since that is how sudo works, without using the root password.

I already try that and when i put my normal login password it says that "cesar(my name) ins't a superuser", or something like that.

But neverless i will try that again but from what i can remember it didn't work with my usual password.

Edited by Rasec

I already try that and when i put my normal login password it says that "cesar(my name) ins't a superuser", or something like that.

Try entering your root password.

Hugs98 and the Haskell packages are in the repositories. Have you set up your software sources with easy urpmi yet?

Try entering your root password.

Hugs98 and the Haskell packages are in the repositories. Have you set up your software sources with easy urpmi yet?

when i enter the root password it said, "Sorry try again" when i know the root password is correct.

I didn't get what you mean by saying "easy urpmi"?

The easiest (and preferred) method to install any software, is to set up your software sources (repositories) with Easy-Urpmi. I suggest that you start with reading this post on Software installation.

Then set up easyurpmi as per the instructions in that thread, so you can install the packages you need. Here's a link to Easy-Urpmi: easyurpmi

After you have set up your repositories, then you can use your package manager or urpmi to install the software you need or want.

Here's some more info for you about installing software:

Installing_and_removing_software

Tools/urpmi

I almost forgot to tell you that sudo is not set up by default in Mandriva. You must run visudo first to set it up. When you need to run a command in a terminal as root, instead of using sudo do su, then enter your root password.

Welcome to the MUB! :)

I finally have “hugs†installed in the pc.

I must thanks to all the persons who helped me, especially the advice of using the su command since it did what it meant to do.

By using the su command, the password for the root was accepted and after that i tried to do the make install, again but it instead of giving the lack of permissions error it gave me a error that said it couldn't do the operation.

So i decided to delete the dir created with installation and do it again but as root.

It all worked well i think but in the end of the installation it didn't appear the hugs command in the shell as you can see in this image.

Since i was starting to get a little angry with that i decided to try doing the make install again and still as root.

It worked as a charm and finally i have the hugs installed as you can see.

I was starting to get angry with the damn Hugs, since i never had this much trouble when i installed other languages like python or java.

Thanks for all your help.