Cannot install an RPM - URPMI seems broken....

fearby

What am I missing here?

I downloaded the java vm rpm from Sun's site and when I try to install it I get the console message:

unable to take medium "Updates for Mandrake Linux 9.1 (ftp1u)" into account as no list file [/var/lib/urpmi/list.Updates for Mandrake Linux 9.1 (ftp1u)] exists

Everything already installed

How can I sort this out?

Thanks

For .rpm.bin type as root

sh java-blablabla.rpm.bin

urpmi java-blablabla.rpm

For .rpm type as root

urpmi java-blablabla.rpm

If that doesn't work, try to remove all media source out of the urpmi database and put them back in. Here is how:

Put CD1 in the drive and type the following as root

urpmi.removemedia -a 

urpmi.addmedia --distrib cdrom removable:///mnt/cdrom

Adjust 'removable:///mnt/cdrom' according to your configuration.

Now retry to install the .rpm with urpmi.

MOttS

hoh'd'emUuup :wink: The real question is...why are we trying to install an independ/no-deps java rpm with urpmi? This package has a licence agreement and instructions that plainly say to use rpm -ivh. Looks like the FAQ needs to be updated to suns instructions. When it comes to urpmi/ML releases and package versions, what works for one machine may not work for the next. However, install the "rpm" pkg on slackware or some other distro and rpm -ivh works just fine.

I would guess that urpmi is holding on to something the license aggrement doesn't like. Has anyone actually used urpmi to install java? How long ago? What Mandrake and what version of urpmi/java? Making sense yet? I don't know because I've always followed the instructions. We know fearby's urpmi works for all the other pkgs , not with java.

Why hasn't suns instructions been tried? (rpm -ivh)

I'm not trying to be an _ _ _. You know what they say....when all else fails.....use the instructions :wink:

hoh'd'emUuup :wink: The real question is...why are we trying to install an independ/no-deps java rpm with urpmi? This package has a licence agreement and instructions that plainly say to use rpm -ivh. Looks like the FAQ needs to be updated to suns instructions. When it comes to urpmi/ML releases and package versions, what works for one machine may not work for the next. However, install the "rpm" pkg on slackware or some other distro and rpm -ivh works just fine.

I would guess that urpmi is holding on to something the license aggrement doesn't like. Has anyone actually used urpmi to install java? How long ago? What Mandrake and what version of urpmi/java? Making sense yet? I don't know because I've always followed the instructions. We know fearby's urpmi works for all the other pkgs , not with java.

Why hasn't suns instructions been tried? (rpm -ivh)

I'm not trying to be an _ _ _. You know what they say....when all else fails.....use the instructions :wink:

I did it with MDK 9.1 with the version here on this board (j2re-1.3.1_06-1mdk.i586.rpm). Look in the FAQs, I don't say to download the Sun version but the mdk version. This is easier to install this version because it takes care of $PATH. And I first tried to rpm -ivh but it told me missing blablabla (it was a fresh install) so I used urpmi and it asked for cds to install two packages in addition to java. And as far as I remember, the licence agreement is shown when you unzip the .rpm.bin (using sh java.rpm.bin or chmod +x java.rpm.bin && ./java.rpm.bin). After you have read the licence, you are left with a good old .rpm so why urpmi wouldn't work? (I don't remember really .. ??) bvc, I can modify the name of my FAQ for 'how to install the MDK version of Java' and you could write one with this title -> 'how to install the Sun version of Java'. What about that? I prefer to 'emerge java' really :)

:oops: Didn't notice the mdk.rpm part. SORRY! I've never had that luxury :P and when I installed 9.1 I already had suns java.rpm left over from 9.0 in /home so I just used it.....so it's been a while. You are also correct about when the license appears and I'm sorry for that goof as well. That's what I get for doing this while I'm at work :P :oops:

As for FAQ....I don't see it as necessary do you? Not if there's a mdk.rpm and your FAQ, and good instructions from sun for their .bin. :wink:

I've never heard of deps with java....do you remember what they were? It's obviously because it's a mdk.rpm.

If urpmi works except with java, I'd say try rpm -ivh.

I've never had the luxury of emerge, but clicking a button in Libranets Xadminmenu and having java downloaded/installed and setup is as easy as I've had it. :mystismiles:

If urpmi works except with java, I'd say try rpm -ivh.

I'm going to add a small paragraph basically saying that if they downloaded the .rpm.bin from the Sun's website, they should use rpm -ivh instead of urpmi. In this case though, they will have to add Java to their $PATH by themselves :( . I already have a link about $PATH on the FAQ. I will also add a link to the Sun's HowTo. What about that?

I've never heard of deps with java....do you remember what they were? It's obviously because it's a mdk.rpm. 

No I don't. But I'll reinstall Mandrake in a few days (I'm already sick of Longhorn alpha) and add which dependencies are needed to the FAQ

btw, I'm at work also :) .. we work hard hey? .. really hard !! :lol:

MOttS

After my dumb statements earlier you probably don't want my opinion...but....here-goes

rpm -ivh j2re-1.3.1_06-1mdk.i586.rpm

when it tells you the deps...add them

rpm -ivh j2re-1.3.1_06-1mdk.i586.rpm dep_pkg.mdk.rpm dep_pkg.mdk.rpm

If this fails, you need to be specific as to what happened for us to go any further. :)

• 4 weeks later...

On a fresh install one needs additionnal packages to install Java, this is why you have to use urpmi and not rpm. Here it is:

[jf@localhost jf]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost jf]# urpme kaffe

paquetage inconnu: kaffe

[root@localhost jf]# urpmi j2re-1.3.1_06-1mdk.i586.rpm

Pour satisfaire les dépendances, les paquetages suivants vont être installés (40 Mo):

j2re-1.3.1_06-1mdk.i586

libnspr4-1.3-1mdk.i586

libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.82mdk.i586

libunixODBC2-2.2.4-1mdk.i586

libunixODBC2-devel-2.2.4-1mdk.i586

Est-ce correct ? (O/n) O

Veuillez insérer le medium nommé « International CD (x86) (cdrom3) » dans le périphérique [                   /dev/scd0]

Appuyez sur la touche Entrée quand vous êtes prêts...

Veuillez insérer le medium nommé « Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1) » dans le périphérique                    [/dev/scd0]

Appuyez sur la touche Entrée quand vous êtes prêts...

installation de /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libstdc++2.10-2.96-0.82mdk.i586.rpm /var/cache/urpmi/                   rpms/libunixODBC2-devel-2.2.4-1mdk.i586.rpm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libunixODBC2-2.2.4-1mdk.i                   586.rpm /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/libnspr4-1.3-1mdk.i586.rpm j2re-1.3.1_06-1mdk.i586.rpm

Préparation...              ##################################################

1:libstdc++2.10          ##################################################

2:libunixODBC2           ##################################################

3:libunixODBC2-devel     ##################################################

4:libnspr4               ##################################################

5:j2re                   ##################################################

[root@localhost jf]#

MOttS