In my 2007.1 install,

$ rpm -qa |grep firefox
libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.8-2.0.0.8-1mdv2007.1
mozilla-firefox-2.0.0.12-1.1mdv2007.1
libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.3-2.0.0.3-2mdv2007.1
libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.11-2.0.0.11-1.1mdv2007.1
libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.6-2.0.0.6-4mdv2007.1
libmozilla-firefox2.0.0.12-2.0.0.12-1.1mdv2007.1

Since mozilla is frequently updated, this gives takes up a lot of space. Anyone else have the same problem? I had deleted a bunch of them manually a while ago, and these are the latest ones to crop up. Any help is appreciated.

Seems that Mandriva is not clearing up the dependencies properly when a package is updated/removed. This is not uncommon across any rpm distro - it's usual for libraries to be left behind. As you mentioned, you can remove them manually of course. Or complain to Mandriva about it so that they can attempt to improve dependency detection and get them removed when an upgrade occurs.

I don't really understand why this doesn't happen already.

Or complain to Mandriva about it so that they can attempt to improve dependency detection and get them removed when an upgrade occurs.

I don't really understand why this doesn't happen already.

I have a theory about why it doesn't happen--the packages are names libmozilla-firefox2...etc instead of libmozilla-firefox-2..etc. This would be a packaging issue rather than a mcc issue. The disk space it takes up is quite large too. :mellow:

I've seen it done in Red Hat also, if you removed OpenIPMI package, OpenIPMI-libs package was left behind. Seems to be a trait unfortunately that some packages get left behind even if they have no other dependencies keeping them there. I would expect it to be kept back if it was going to remove another package, but if not, it should be gone automatically.