cisco Aironet 350 PCMCIA ibm Thinkpad 390E

Guest adsfjh

Guest adsfjh

ok i finaly got a copy of mandrake mmm...i seems quite enjoy able...my pcmcia hot sawp works great with my intel 10/100 eth card shows up as eth0 and all upound insertion...but heres my problem....i inset my wireless Cisco Aironet 350 card and i can't get it to see it as eth0 and can't do anything with it....it has the newest firmware update..any solutions?? :(

Guest ROCCY

It may be fixed in MandrakeSoft Bugfix Advisory MDKA-2003:004-1 : 9.1, but I could not find detailed info on the DrakConnect issues it addresses. Here is my experience:

Installing Netgear MA701, CompactFlash WIFI (intended for WinCE PDA's, but same as MA401 PCMCIA card) on Thinkpad X20. After much wrestling with this beastie on the ThinkPad (WiFi in CompactFlash slot to free up the PCMCIA slot appealed to me ;-), I finally realized this was happening: DrakConnect would make the connection setup for the MA701 (orinoco driver), and it seemed fine (could ping valid addresses, ifconfig looked ok, etc.) until I clicked the last "OK" button, then back to misconfigured status, and not connecting. I finally caught on to the timing of events, and made a copy of /etc/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 while it was working, then compared that copy to the same file after clicking the last "OK". ifcfg-eth0 was altered by then to where it would not work, primarily in deleting the WIRELESS-ESSID and WIRELESS_ENC_KEY (WEP key) settings that are necessary for my home network.

I found that if I simply canceled DrakConnect instead of clicking the last

"OK", it would leave ifcfg-eth0 alone, and keep my working setup intact.

This is not "good behavior".

• 3 months later...

this thread looks like old news, but it sounds like maybe you didn't install the drivers for the card?? i just got an aironet 350 pcmcia card and it works fine in linux. i used the drivers from the cd that came with it. i don't think there were any rpms included, i had to configure it from the command line, but the documentation laid it out step by step pretty well. i'm pretty sure this card won't work with drivers included in mandrake, you need to add others (just like if you want to use an orinoco card, or just about any other wireless card).