KDE Networking Setup

mtweidmann

I've trying to use the KDE Control Centre to setup up some network shares on my machine. I can see the shared directories on other machines but it always prompts me for a password and regardless of what user name/psw I use it won't let me in.

I also have the same problem as mentioned in another thread about not being able to see the contents of shares on other machines. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

The security level is set to: Share

Guest account: guest (with encrypted passwords)

The individual shares are set as:

- Read only

- Guest ok

- Browseable

- Available

Sambe users are: Guest & Martin(me) neither with psw set.

I've trying to use the KDE Control Centre to setup up some network shares on my machine.  I can see the shared directories on other machines but it always prompts me for a password and regardless of what user name/psw I use it won't let me in.

I also have the same problem as mentioned in another thread about not being able to see the contents of shares on other machines.  Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

The security level is set to: Share

Guest account: guest (with encrypted passwords)

The individual shares are set as: 

- Read only

- Guest ok

- Browseable

- Available

Sambe users are: Guest & Martin(me)  neither with psw set.

Check permissions and also check user IDs on two computers. I don't know how MDK control centre handles this stuff, but I remember having to synchronise my user ID on both computers in order to be able to work with files mounted to /mnt/shares-from-other-computer.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ptaieb

I had the same problem with one Linux and one win98 system, I solve this by changing the passwd encrypted to 'no' (I don't remember the way to do it) this seems to be the same for win2k. I so not know if you need to do this for 2 linux system

A better solution is to set the user's samba password. If you have installed ksambaplugin, this is very easy. In KDE Control Center, use Network->Samba Configuration->Administrator Mode->Users. Click on a user on the right, and hit the arrow pointing to the left, and enter the password they use in Windows.

The benefits of this are that everything will work from windows without problems (you need a reg hack to use clear-text passwords from recent versions of windows).