Ok..I've tried. Another athlon-xp rebuild problem

I've been trying to rebuild rpms to optimize for the athlon-xp processor. I've followed the instructions for making a build environment as a user, setting the optflags in .rpmrc and editing .rpmmacros after reading through all the posts on this board, justlinux.com, the one reference on pclinux.com and after doing searches on google. Anyone want to take a stab at this one?

Errors are pretty self-explanatory (I think), but I don't how to fix it. Seems like an error in the packaging of the doc files. I think I'll try the --excludedocs option for rpm and see what happens, but I thought I'd through this one out there to see what everyone else thinks.

Thanks in advance.

edit: --excludedocs opts for rpm aparently doesn't work. it says unknown option...even though it's in the man pages. hmmm.

Errors are for kdelibs-3.1-58mdk.src.rpm

RPM build errors:

File not found: /home/satch12/RPM/tmp/kdelibs-3.1-58mdk-root/usr/doc/HTML

File not found: /home/satch12/RPM/tmp/kdelibs-3.1-58mdk-root/usr/doc/HTML/en

File not found: /home/satch12/RPM/tmp/kdelibs-3.1-58mdk-root/usr/doc/HTML/en/common

File not found by glob: /home/satch12/RPM/tmp/kdelibs-3.1-58mdk-root/usr/doc/HTML/en/common/*.css

File not found by glob: /home/satch12/RPM/tmp/kdelibs-3.1-58mdk-root/usr/doc/HTML/en/common/*.dcl

File not found by glob: /home/satch12/RPM/tmp/kdelibs-3.1-58mdk-root/usr/doc/HTML/en/common/*.html

File not found by glob: /home/satch12/RPM/tmp/kdelibs-3.1-58mdk-root/usr/doc/HTML/en/common/*.png

File not found by glob: /home/satch12/RPM/tmp/kdelibs-3.1-58mdk-root/usr/doc/HTML/en/common/*.template

File not found by glob: /home/satch12/RPM/tmp/kdelibs-3.1-58mdk-root/usr/doc/HTML/en/common/*-license

File not found: /home/satch12/RPM/tmp/kdelibs-3.1-58mdk-root/usr/doc/HTML

File not found: /home/satch12/RPM/tmp/kdelibs-3.1-58mdk-root/usr/doc/HTML/en

File not found: /home/satch12/RPM/tmp/kdelibs-3.1-58mdk-root/usr/doc/HTML/en/kspell

File not found by glob: /home/satch12/RPM/tmp/kdelibs-3.1-58mdk-root/usr/doc/HTML/en/kspell/*

File listed twice: /usr/lib/kde3/plugins/designer/kdewidgets.a

File listed twice: /usr/lib/kde3/plugins/styles/highcolor.a

File listed twice: /usr/lib/kde3/plugins/styles/keramik.a

File listed twice: /usr/lib/kde3/plugins/styles/kthemestyle.a

File listed twice: /usr/lib/kde3/plugins/styles/light.a

drsatch,

I've been reading that people were having problems rebuilding the kde 3.1.1s. So, your experience is that doing it as root works? Are there any other roadblocks you encountered, or is everything functioning OK, and has performance increased?

wrc1944

Yeah doing it as root worked for me. The weird part is...I tried it as root before and it didn't work..same errors as I posted. I think what I did was clean out all the build directories and erased the spec file and tried it again as root. I don't know if that had an effect on it or not. Not too sure why it would anyway, but I got them built.

As for performance....honestly it just seems a little bit "snappier" as someone put it, but I'm not thoroughly impressed for the amount of work I did.

Maybe I should go about rebuilding the kernel too? This always scared me doing it from the RPM. I've rebuild kernels before, but that was in gentoo and it was all source. I'm not real sure how to optimize it. Where do I put the CFLAGS? Do I select Athlon as processor type when I make xconfig? I've read tons of docs and howtos but none that I saw seemed to specifically talk about optimizing for athlon-xp.

But, maybe that should be in a different thread.

Anyway, I followed the directions in the "mandrake a la gentoo" guide and only notice a slight improvement. Maybe I missed something and will have to go back and have another look at it.

Any thoughts?

so just rebuild then rpm -i kernel*.rpm and it will overwrite the current stock kernel?

Sorry if this is kinda dumb.  I just don't like not knowing what rpm will do.

I don't think so, it will make a new entry in lilo.

You can edit the cflags in /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc file, or better yet, make a new tree for building rpms in your /home. That worked for me rebuilding the 2.4.21 srpm multimedia kernel from contributors. Works fine. Afterwords, you just install the new athlon kernel and kernel source rpms- it does thhe lilo stuff for you.I posted the procedure on pclinuxonline, and I believe in this forum. Check out aru's explanations in the tips section. oh yeah, here it is- check this out.

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=4655

wrc1944 :D

I already set it all up to build for athlon-xp. I've rebuild a lot of rpms lately. I just wasn't sure what was going to happen by installing a kernel from rpm. Seems like I heard horror stories a while back. Maybe that was when I was using 8.1 about a year and a half ago. Anyway, thanks for the info.

BTW: I went ahead and did it...didn't have any problems. Don't notice any difference, but oh well. Now I just have to figure out patch the new kernel for win4lin.

drsatch=kernel newbie :P