Need Recommendation for Hard Disk Backup for Redhat 8

Guest Jose

Guest Jose

Being a noobie I am not sure about what software to use to do a full backup on the drive that my Red Hat 8.0 system is on. I have a second hard drive which is the same size as the drive on which my system is on and I wish to regularly back up my system to the extra drive. What do you recommend?

Why don't you implement one of those RAID solutions?  

You can use this recent article from Linux Journal as some sort of introduction: High Availability Linux with Software RAID

raid doesn't save you from misconfiguration, only hd failure. Still it is nice too have.

All i ever do is backup my data by tar.bz2 then onto cdr's.

I never backup the software except for rpms that i have downloaded or rebuilt and some of the important configuration files.

Doesn't take me long to install mdk if a hdd fails so i don't bother with a full backup.

Besides if i had another 80gb i would use it.

Guest Jose

I am so new that I don't know yet which files to backup if I were to backup just the important files. I guess I'd back up my configuration files. Such as Apache, vsftp, dns, sendmail etc.

And I'd write down how I had partition my drive. Is there anything which I am missing?

partimage is good for backingup an image/ghost of a partition. Not really for an incremental or partial backup.. Gotta figure out what you want to backup..

You can do a full image backup with partimage, burn them to CD's (if its worth it). This creates a single compressed file per partition.

Then backup your

/etc

/home

/root

in an incremental backup using drakbackup, mondo or mindi..

http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/

Guest Jose

Kamikaze_Gerbil,

I just have two questions about mirrordir, when setting up the other

hard drive:

What do I format it too?

Do I have to create the same partition sizes as the original?

I have two 40gb drives, one has the linux and the other currently has one big fat and empty vfat partition.