this is what i have.. what do you think?

Guest traveller

Guest traveller

http://a1964.g.akamaitech.net/f/1964/452/2.../20131094_l.gif

hp pavilion n3310 laptop

here are some specs:

Processor: AMD K6-2 500 MHz

Ram: 188mb (SDRAM)

Installed Cache Memory: 512 KB

3d card: Trident Cyberblade (8mb)

Hd: 5gb

Bus speed: 100Mhz

Sound card: some es maestro thingie..

need more?

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Hewlett_Packar...N3310_F1926AABA

so...

I installed some red hat (maybe 7.1?) like 2 years ago to it and had a lot of issues (bad resolution, no sound, etc) .. finally went back to good ol windows..

so.. now i feel like giving linux another chance..

the thing is.. it's very time comsuming to go back to windows if mandrake 9.1 let's me down.. atfirst i'll have to install that factory win 98se thing.. then upgrade it to xp.. dl sp1 for xp and all the other soft I use.. don't have internet on the laptop either so i have to use cd-rws to do all this..

now.. i mainly use the laptop for wathing divx movies.. and have this pre 486 17 inch monitor which i hook up..

so.. how's the performance under mandrake 9.1? will i be able to watch those divx movies? any other issues? should i go for it?

Guest anon

The specs you have are fine, don't see a problem there.

What do you mean by " time consuming going back to windoze" you can dual boot easy enough.

Mandrake and Redhat have come a long way in the past couple of years, Mandrake is considered the easiest to install, and is now quite feature rich.

Laptops do have their own unique problems though. but can be solved.

Go for it, if you need help, just ask.

Guest traveller

OKAY!

I now have Mandrake 9.1 running on my laptop.. no issues what so ever.. sort of anyways.. some of the "windows" don't fit into my screen and there fore i can't click the "ok", "cancel" or "apply" buttons.. any tips how to get rid of this problem?

anyways.. I just installed it by only using the CD1 for i haven't finnished dloading CDs 2 & 3 yet.. once I have em I'm going to do a clean install again..

#"!! this crappy 256 adsl

oh well..

Guest traveller

is it just me or did my laptop just become a lot faster? this far i'm totally loving it.. gnome seems to be a lot better for "newbies" like me.. for it's somehow a lot simpler to use..

can't wait to see how the divx playback performance is..

is it just me or did my laptop just become a lot faster? this far i'm totally loving it.. gnome seems to be a lot better for "newbies" like me.. for it's somehow a lot simpler to use..

can't wait to see how the divx playback performance is..

Nope, it's efinately not just you. It is a well established fact that linux rns MUCH faster than windows on older hardware. If you want it to run even faster, try using gnome, xfce, fluxbox or basicaly any WM other than KDE. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE kde, and it is pretty much all I use, but it is the most memory intensive WM that I am aware of. Also, if you are up to it, compiling your own kernel can craet a big proformance boost. Of course, you sound pretty green, so that might be something to try down the road.

Not sure about the screen res thing, though I'm sure somebody knows the solution. As far as the other 2 CD's, I highly reccomend you instll them. There's a ton of beautiful linux apps on the them.

Guest traveller

that "cotroll" thingie didn't work..

anyways..

so I also dloaded the 2nd cd and performed clean install.. also installed the game, multimedia and some other packages.. everything was so easy.. no compatibility issues what so ever.. did a test on a divx movie.. it ran smoothly =)

well I gotta do another clean install for I did a mistake and only installed support for finnish.. which was quite dull for I prefer english (in case i run into any porlems.. easier to explain to ppl like you).. so it's installing at the very moment.. I chose english and finnish..

anyways.. seems like linux is finally ready for not so whiz users like me.. gnome really is just as simple looking as windows xp is.. also pretty much as easy to use..

what is quite funny is that linux,, mandrake anyways has better support for my hw than windows has.. with windows i had some serious issues with my cd-rom.. it took like 70 minutes to copy a movie to the hd.. if it even succeeded for i usually got some weird cyclic data reading error thingie messages.. now it took 4 minutes.. now i can watch the movies straight from the cd also.. =)

well..

i think i will run into some issues with xvid movies? same goes for ac3 encoded sound i guess? well.. i guess all those can be solved..

hmmm.. maybe i'll support mandrake and buy the sw if it feels as good next month or so..

Guest anon
if you press >control< while you move the mouse cursor over a window it will move the window so you can get to the ok buttons.

ezroller, its the >Alt< key :wink:

if you press >control< while you move the mouse cursor over a window it will move the window so you can get to the ok buttons.

ezroller, its the >Alt< key :wink:

oops. :lol:

Guest traveller

didn't work with alt either.. maybe something wrong with the keyboard conf.. after all it's definetly not regular us keyboard..

anyways.. how stunned was i to notice that xine supported ac3 and xvid =)