umount problem/question

kmack

First, THANKS to Aru and the rest of you that are writing the new FAQ's! They are great! Perhaps this should be in the FAQ section, but I hated to mess up the good posts there. Please feel free to move this if you desire.

I am trying to learn my way around ML, so turned off supermount, and am having problems with my umount command. I am able to mount with no problem by using: ~$ mount /mnt/scd1

but when I try to unmount using ~$ umount /mnt/scd1 nothing happens except it returns me to the prompt line. The CDROM drive will not respond at all and even the manual eject button doesn't work. I have to go to root to umount and am not sure why this is happening. Why would I have mount but not umount permissions?

I followed the instructions in FAQ IM-07 (though I am not getting any busy error message, just the cd is not able to be ejected by software or manual means) and then I went to root and gave the: # fuser -km /mnt/scd1 command my computer hung and I had to do the ALT+SYSREQ+R,S,E,U and finally got a response and got to another konsole (actually 2 windows were being displayed with extremely small fonts) and logged in as root again and halt -n to shutdown.

Here's appropriate part of my /etc/fstab:

/dev/scd0 /mnt/scd0 iso9660 user,iocharset=iso8859-1,unhide,codepage=850,noauto,ro,umask=0 0 0

/dev/scd1 /mnt/scd1 iso9660 user,iocharset=iso8859-1,unhide,codepage=850,noauto,ro,umask=0 0 0

Is the problem that I looked into the directories on the cd and didn't close the konsole and reopen it? I thought it was enough to just cd since all I had done earlier was a simple ls /mnt/scd1

My /mnt/scd0 works just fine both mount and umount commands, but this new Asus 52x CDrom is not. /mnt/scd0 is a cdrw and /mnt/scd1 is the slave and a plain cdrom drive.

Can someone help me see what I am doing wrong? TIA!

Is the problem that I looked into the directories on the cd and didn't close the konsole and reopen it? I thought it was enough to just cd since all I had done earlier was a simple  ls /mnt/scd1

Did you cd out of /mnt/scd1, is that what you are saying? If you are still inside the directory, you will get the 'busy' message?

First, THANKS to Aru and the rest of you that are writing the new FAQ's!  They are great!  Perhaps this should be in the FAQ section, but I hated to mess up the good posts there.  Please feel free to move this if you desire.
You are wellcome and thanks in name of the FAQ mantainers group for you nice comments :D

I am trying to learn my way around ML, so turned off supermount, and am having problems with my umount command.  I am able to mount with no problem by using:   ~$ mount /mnt/scd1    

but when I try to unmount using ~$ umount /mnt/scd1 nothing happens except it returns me to the prompt line.  The CDROM drive will not respond at all and even the manual eject button doesn't work.  I have to go to root to umount and am not sure why this is happening.  Why would I have mount but not umount permissions?

Is the same user the one that tries to unmount the cdrom that the one that mounted it? If not the second user can't umount it because the only users allowed are root and the user who mounted it (see the user value in /etc/mtab):

~$ echo $USER    

aru

~$ mount /mnt/cdrw/

~$ grep cdrw /etc/mtab

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target2/lun0/cd /mnt/cdrw iso9660 ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=aru 0 0

Ofcourse if that is what happens you must see an error indicating that only user "aru" can unmount /mnt/cdrw

I followed the instructions in FAQ IM-07 (though I am not getting any busy error message, just the cd is not able to be ejected by software or manual means) and then I went to root and gave the: # fuser -km /mnt/scd1 command my computer hung and I had to do the ALT+SYSREQ+R,S,E,U and finally got a response and got to another konsole (actually 2 windows were being displayed with extremely small fonts) and logged in as root again and halt -n to shutdown.

That is weird and shouldn't happen (at least never happened to me). If I do the same, when I run the fuser command the shell using that directory is killed (if is an xterm, then it closes), leaving free the cdrom. Could anyone running lastests mandrake versions reproduce this error?

Here's appropriate part of my /etc/fstab:

/dev/scd0 /mnt/scd0 iso9660 user,iocharset=iso8859-1,unhide,codepage=850,noauto,ro,umask=0 0 0<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->/dev/scd1 /mnt/scd1 iso9660 user,iocharset=iso8859-1,unhide,codepage=850,noauto,ro,umask=0 0 0

To me it seems correct (the umask=0 is unnecesary).

Is the problem that I looked into the directories on the cd and didn't close the konsole and reopen it?  I thought it was enough to just cd since all I had done earlier was a simple ls /mnt/scd1
What you did shouldn't have been a problem at all.

My /mnt/scd0 works just fine both mount and umount commands, but this new Asus 52x CDrom is not.  /mnt/scd0 is a cdrw and /mnt/scd1 is the slave and a plain cdrom drive.

Can someone help me see what I am doing wrong? TIA!

To me you didn't do anything wrong, maybe is a problem with the Asus CDrom drivers?

Steve: Thanks for your input. Yes, I did a cd to return to the /home/kelly directory but I didn't close the konsole. When I tried the ~$ umount /mnt/scd1 the prompt just echos back and nothing seems to happen. When I do the same command sequence on the /mnt/scd0 drive it goes to a new prompt, but allows me to eject using either the eject cmd or the eject button. The /mnt/scd1 drive doesn't respond and I have to go to root to umount.

At least I can unmount as root, but I would like to know why I cannot umount as user. (yes, same user that mounted is trying to unmount)

I think aru is right, it maybe related to the Asus driver that is used. I had a bad drive and replaced it two days ago but in the past I could mount/umount with no problem. I have edited the fstab in the meantime, and wondered if I did something wrong there, so that is why I posted this question. :)

Just tried again, here's code:

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ mount /mnt/scd1

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ grep scd1 /etc/mtab

/dev/scd1 /mnt/scd1 iso9660 ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,iocharset=iso8859-1,unhide,codepage=850,umask=0,user=kelly 0 0

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ umount /mnt/scd1

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ grep scd1 /etc/mtab

[kelly@localhost kelly]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost kelly]# umount /mnt/scd1

umount: /mnt/scd1: not mounted

[root@localhost kelly]# eject /mnt/scd1

eject: unable to eject, last error: Invalid argument

[root@localhost kelly]#

What is odd is it apparently unmounts properly since it is no longer shown in /etc/mtab When I did the eject command, the drive ejects the cd, but I am getting an error message that it is "unable..."

This is a minor annoyance that I can live with, but might be a bug in the driver or something that I may report to the ML team. What do you think?

Yes, it might be something wrong with the driver (IMHO).

What happens if instead of using the mount point, you try to eject directly the device (eject /dev/scd1)

Also if you use umount, mount, and eject with the -v flag (verbose) you may get more information about what's going on.

Aru: Yes, I tried the /dev/scd1 method and also have tried with the -v but it didn't make any difference. I checked the Asus website and there are no new drivers or firmware for this fairly new drive. I also did some googling but didn't see any specific reference to a problem like this.

I'll just keep fiddling and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks for taking time to give me some options! It really helps me confirm that I am not doing anything wrong in my use of commands, etc. (in this case anyway!) :)