Compiz problem after a kernel update

camorri

I followed the instructions for updating the kernel. I can boot either of the older kernels, or the new one. So far so good. This is Mandriva 2008. uname -a shows:

uname -a

Linux duelie 2.6.22.18-desktop586-1mdv #1 SMP Mon Feb 11 12:21:41 EST 2008 i686 AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ GNU/Linux

After installing the new kernel, I noticed the Nvidia logo no longer appeared while logging on. Did a search, and found the following to restore the propriety driver.

1. log on a root and run init 3.

2. Run XFdrake

3.Select the GeForce 3/4 driver

4.Reply YES to proprietary driver.

5. After all packages installed, run test ( it was successful )

6. init 5 to start up the x server.

O.K. so now I have the Nvidia driver restored.

I'm not sure why the Nvidia propriety driver no longer loads after a kernel update, but that has now happened on my system on two upgrades.

Now if I start compiz, it starts, I get a black desktop without icons visible. If I run the mouse pointer over the task bar, it pops up as normal and is visible. I can launch applications.

I can see Thunderbird as normal, if I launch firefox, I see the window decorations, but can not see filefox. It appears as a black hole. If I launch a konsole, I can see my desktop as a transparent background. It is black around the konsole.

I looked through the CCSM to try and find if a setting got borked, but can not find out which one it may be.

I switched to metisse, and it works normally as does No 3D effects.

O.K. so my question is; how can I reset all compiz settings to default and get back to a working spinning cube, where I can see all applications? Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

In case it matters, the video card is "GeForce 6100 nForce 430". The loaded module is "NVIDIA GeForce FX and later"

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I followed the instructions for updating the kernel. I can boot either of the older kernels, or the new one. So far so good. This is Mandriva 2008. uname -a shows:

After installing the new kernel, I noticed the Nvidia logo no longer appeared while logging on. Did a search, and found the following to restore the propriety driver.

1. log on a root and run init 3.

2. Run XFdrake

3.Select the GeForce 3/4 driver

4.Reply YES to proprietary driver.

5. After all packages installed, run test ( it was successful )

6. init 5 to start up the x server.

O.K. so now I have the Nvidia driver restored.

I'm not sure why the Nvidia propriety driver no longer loads after a kernel update, but that has now happened on my system on two upgrades.

Now if I start compiz, it starts, I get a black desktop without icons visible. If I run the mouse pointer over the task bar, it pops up as normal and is visible. I can launch applications.

I can see Thunderbird as normal, if I launch firefox, I see the window decorations, but can not see filefox. It appears as a black hole. If I launch a konsole, I can see my desktop as a transparent background. It is black around the konsole.

I looked through the CCSM to try and find if a setting got borked, but can not find out which one it may be.

I switched to metisse, and it works normally as does No 3D effects.

O.K. so my question is; how can I reset all compiz settings to default and get back to a working spinning cube, where I can see all applications? Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

In case it matters, the video card is "GeForce 6100 nForce 430". The loaded module is "NVIDIA GeForce FX and later"

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I have found a fix, I'm updating this thread in case anyone else has a similar problem.

I don't think this has anything to do with the kernel update, since after the update it failed on both the new kernel, and old kernels. I found the fix here --> http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Troubleshooting#mistakes I looked under " Black Window Bug ".

I opened CCSM and on the General section, Command tab I entered '--inderect-rendering' , went to MCC, and in Drak3D selected Compiz again. It now works.

Fixed. :D