read error in OOo writer

derxen

Hello everyone,

I hope someone can help me with this one. I have a .sxw file that I cannot open anymore: it gives a read error. I can open it in emacs. Is there a way to make it readable again for OOo?

I have mandrake linux 9.0, OOo1.0.1. I suspect it may have gone bad during a ftp transaction to work. It may also have to do with the fact that at work I use windows, with OOo1.0.2, and the file goes back and forth a lot.

Please help! (I have no other copy anymore, after I stupidly overwrote it with the bad one.)

derxen

Just fixed it with a windows program called Advanced Zip Repair. OpenOffice saves its documents as zip-files, and there was a bad crc.

Does anyone know of a linux alternative for Advanced Xip Repair?

derxen

That's the first time I heard of openoffice using zip file as primary safe mode. I thought sxw is supposed to be xml based.

Anyway, good job in solving your problem. I have searched for a similar utilties for linux and can find none, sorry.

OpenOffice files are xml-based, but they're also compressed using zip. I didn't know that either, but now I know why they're so much smaller than ms-office files. So when you open one in emacs or vi, it's not readable, except for the bits describing the subdirectories (layout, content, styles, etc).

derxen