X and Omnibook XE3 solved

Guest gamito

Guest gamito

Hi,

I spent 17 euros with Mandrake support trying to understand why x crashes an HP Omnibook XE3 when one logout of it.

Searching the web, i've found several other people with the same proble with this exact model.

They were unable to tell me teh answer to the problem.

In spite of that, i managed to solve it.

I just recompiled the kernel getting rid of all the buziilion modules a mere mortal doesn't need, though i still don't know what was theexact nature of the problem.

Well, here it is my small contribution for someone that might come across to this problem.

Warm regards,

Mário Gamito

It's probably the ACPI implementation for that particular mandrake kernel for that particular notebook.

Anyway, congrats of making your computer run and recompiling your own kernel. Some people think that recompiling kernel is something really really scary, but other people say that you are not a true linux user until you compile your own kernel :)

Guest gamito

I'm no Linux newbie :-)

For many years i've used SuSE both on the desktop and on production servers.

Now i've switched my desktops to Mandrake, because i don't want to spend hours configurating a single desktop system.

From my point of view, the installation of a desktop Linux should be fire and forget and Mandrake after all these years impressed me for the first time with 9.1

On production servers it's another story: SuSE remains :-)

Warm regards,

Mário Gamito