Problems installing Mandrake [solved]

Guest scottmnz

Guest scottmnz

Hi,

I've never used Linux before, but I thought I'd have a go, so I bought some cd's with Mandrake v10 on them from Dick Smith (an electronics store chain in NZ and Aust). When I put in the disc and try to install, it freezes up immediately after the first screen. It will load the options screen, but all of the other install types still freeze up almost immediately. The computer is a Packard Bell C3 laptop.

Any ideas? Could the discs be stuffed, or will this just not work on my laptop?

Thanks

Mandrake 10 is a very old version to pay for. Do you have access to a good internet connection? If so, you could download the latest version for free, burn it to a cd and use that to install your system.

We need some more info on your hardware. Could you please give us your laptop specs, or a link to them?

Welcome to the board! :)

In theory, if your machine and associated hardware is older than 3 years old - Mandrake 10 should work. However, there won't be any further security updates for it. In fact, you probably won't be able to download any updates for it whatsoever because they would have long been deleted from the mirrors.

A more recent distro would be better in terms of support for updates/bug fixes/security updates, etc.

Hello Scott.

Are you in Australia or NZ ???. I am suspecting NZ because I have never seen Mandriva in any of Dick Smiths shops in Cairns or anywhere else in Australia. (Not to say that some store somewhere may not have sold some copys)

Do you have ADSL ???. If not then I could post you a DVD Mandriva2008 copy no charge, actually same applys if you are in Australia and on Dial-up.

Post whatever your answer is here at MUB, but send me your postal address via a PM (Personal Message). Do not post your address here.

Once I have the info, the disk will be on its way within 24hours.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scottmnz

Thanks for all your help guys. I bought the discs a couple of years ago, and just hadn't got around to using them. I figured that it would be a nice easy way to try it, but apparently not. Doesn't really matter anyway, it was only about $5 for the discs.

Thanks for the offer John, but I have broadband so it's no problem to download the new version. I'll give that a try, and hopefully it will work better.

Cheers for the help

No probs Scott.

Linux advances so rapidly that a couple of years sees huge changes. Unlike Windows where it is usually only window dressing changes and then not reliably or efficiently.

I long ago, from Win2000, found out why Microsoft tells you to reboot when something gets screwed up. It is the same in XP and Vista.

It is because it has a complete set of read only files replicated in a hidden folder inside a hidden folder ( yes that is correct "in a hidden folder inside a hidden folder" including all the dlls. That is why Windows is so bloated for a minimal install compared with a Linux install with all its programs installed.

A good thing about Dick Smith Electronics own-Brand products known as DSE is that nearly all are being marked Linux compatible where relevant whereas other brands are only slowly doing so. The worst of the lot is Logitech which manufactures a lot of Microsoft products under contract. They have never had the guts to even mention Linux. There is talk that Microsoft now wants to take over Logitech whether Logitech agrees or not. Just like the Yahoo thing.

Since you are on ADSL, check whether your ISP does the same as Telstra Bigpond does here, namely has free downloads of free software and it is not included in your monthly downloads limits. Bigpond puts up Mandriva ISOs usually within a week or so of Mandriva releasing them. Worth checking out.

Cheers for now. John.