ps/2 mouse auto detection problem

Guest ksk

Guest ksk

Dear Friends,

I have a problem using Mandrake Linux 9.0. After rebooting from Linux or if the last login was Linux, my PS2 mouse is not detected automatically in Windows 98 Second Edition. Some times my PS2 key board is also not detected. Pressing F1 allows the booting to continue. However, the mouse is not detected. I have to restart the machine after which the mouse is detected.

Suspecting the motherboard, I got a replacement from the vendor. Still the problem persists.

I downgraded the Linux to 8.2 version of Mandrake (which was working perfectly previously). This time the mouse detection problem didn't arise. I tested this for 5 days. I installed the Mandrake linux 9.0 as a clean install deleting the 8.2 installed partitions previously. So I tried to install the Mandrake linux 9.0 as an Upgrade this time. This time the mouse detection problem immediately came up.

When I did upgrade, I got an option to boot using the old kernel also in Lilo. Then the mouse was not detected in Linux also.

What could be the problem? Is Mandrake Linux 9.0 has some problem in dealing with PS2 ports of my motherboard? What could be done to solve this. Please help.

I have provided information on my system. I have captured kernel messages on booting for both 8.2 and 9.0 versions which I could provide if required.

**System Information**

Processor : Pentium III 1133 Mhz

RAM : 256 SDRAM

Harddisk : 40 GB @7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda

BIOS: Award BIOS - ASUS TUSI-M ACPI BIOS Revision 1017 Release date Sep 18 2002

Mother Board : ASUS TUSI -M

Chipset : Sis 630 ET

PS2 Maple Multimedia Keboard

PS2 Logitech First Mouse

=======================

Thanks in advance for your help.

With regards

Sathish Kumar

From India

sathishkumar@yahoo.com

This a very odd problem. I have a feeling that it's not Mandrake Linux that is causing you issues, but rather the LILO bootloader. I suggesting changing to the GRUB bootloader. You can do this in Mandrake Control Center->Boot->Boot Setup (I believe, I could be wrong as I'm not running Mandrake and my memory is lacking).

Try that and see if the problem still persists.

Out of interest have your tried using another mouse?

Can't see any way for Mandrake to interfere with how Windows detects your mouse. Windows probably doesn't even now Linux is there. I agree with tyme probably a boot loader problem.

Guest ksk

Thank you very much for replying my query. I would try the different boot loader.

I didn't check different mouse, because it worked well with 8.2. Some times my ps2 keyboard also stuck during boot. (Please note that I've changed the motherboard too).

Bye.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the same problems, though I do not have Windows at all on my machine. With MDK 9.0, whenever I reboot, I lose my mouse, that is the /dev/psaux is not detected. This is consistent, and reproduceable. If I shutdown and restart, no problems. Just rebooting.

As you can see from my profile below, I have a completely different system that the originator. By the way, I have tried using both GRUB and LILO and both are the same. I think it has something to do in MDK 9.0 as it never happened with me in MDK 8.0 or 8.2

Kevin Foss

Ottawa, Canada