Fujistu FDX310 ADSL Modem

Guest Mojo

Guest Mojo

Hi I am a bit of a newbie when it come to linux and I just recently installed MDK 9.1. It all went fine but it didnt install my ADSL modem, I have drivers for it but the instructions I got with it were gash and didn't work (or I interpreted them completely wrong). Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

the instructiuons along with the drivers are here: http://dsl-linux.tripod.com/index/ it is after i untar the folder he says to make the files but it just says unknown command or something.

Would you please try again and report the exact error message you get. Probably you need to install something before compiling the sources (maybe make?)

Take a look to these basic links:

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/basics/bsource.html

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/basics/bsource2.html

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/basics/bsource3.html

Guest Mojo
[mojo@markstuart-f2s-com eciadsl-usermode_0.5]$ make

cc -Wall -g   -c -o eci-load1.o eci-load1.c

make: cc: Command not found

make: *** [eci-load1.o] Error 127

[mojo@markstuart-f2s-com eciadsl-usermode_0.5]$

That was the output. Any help.

The problem is that make doesn't find gcc (the C compiler), either because you don't have it installed, or because it is not in your path (run "ls /usr/bin/cc" and if it returns not found then install it from your install cds).

Read the three links I've posted above, there is explained all what you need to have installed in order to compile apps from source, how to use the compiler tools, and the steps you need to follow.

If you encounter any problem following those links please post again and we will try to solve them.

Guest Mojo

right ok cc wasnt installed so i put all development tools on and "make" worked but when i tried to make install

[mojo@markstuart-f2s-com eciadsl-usermode_0.5]$ make install

adding ppp_generic alias ...

/bin/sh: line 1: //etc/modules.conf: Permission denied

make: *** [check-char-major-108] Error 1

[mojo@markstuart-f2s-com eciadsl-usermode_0.5]$

came up. I dont understand this i should be able to access everything as i am the admin.

hehe, you should learn a bit more. Don't complaint too soon :D

If the prompt ends with a '$' means that you are login as normal user, when ends with '#' means that you are root (system admin). To run "make install" you must be root in order to edit some sensible parts of your system; Do the following:

~$ su -

password: <type your root password>

~# cd /path/to/the/eciadsl-usermode_0.5/dir

~# make install

Then all will be done!

I have to send you again to the basics docs: http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/admin/index.html#br

Guest Mojo

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Yeah thanks I will read the basic docs but i just want my internet working cause i have exams coming up in the next few weeks, so i dont really have lots of spare time. I will read those docs though.

Guest Mojo

Dunno if anyone will be able to help me with this or if its too specific to my pc but when i typed "startmodem" as per instructions this came up.

[root@markstuart-f2s-com bin]# startmodem

which: no eci-load1 in (/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin)

test : /usr/local/bin/eci-load1

which: no eci-load2 in (/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin)

Loading OHCI support

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-ohci.o.gz: init_module: No such device

Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg

modprobe: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-ohci.o.gz failed

modprobe: insmod usb-ohci failed

Init modem ...

Setup modem ...

Can't claim interface 0

ECI Load 2 : failed!

Failed to setup the modem

[root@markstuart-f2s-com bin]#

previous to this i had to run "eci-doctor" and this reported everything as fine. ANy help??

The problem is that when root runs startmodem he can't execute neither eci-load1 nor eci-load2 because none of them are located in any of his PATH directories (/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin), infact those files seem to be located at /usr/local/bin). But to be sure check where are those files located.

So to run those prgrams as root you can either make softlinks to them from any of the dirs in the root paths, ie:

~# ln -s /usr/local/bin/eci-load1 /usr/bin/

~# ln -s /usr/local/bin/eci-load2 /usr/bin/

or change root's PATH to include the directories where those files are located (which can be unsafe); to achieve that you must edit the $PATH variable either at root's ~/.bashrc or at /etc/profile:

PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin"

export PATH

If you do the last way, then you should source the file you edited before continuing:

~# source ~/.bashrc

Now try to run again the "startmodem" command, it should work