some kde3.1 questions

Guest nick2003

Guest nick2003

Hello, I have a few questions about mandrake linux 9.1, im a complete newbie when it comes to linux, i installed it today for the first time and ive looked at the demo's on the mandrake site but what i want to do is add a program to my start menu and in the demo thing it says to go to something but its not in the kde 3.1, also ive installed yahoo messenger but when i send a message i cant see what i typed and cant read what anyone else wrote, and 1 more question - i have a hardrive that was partitioned in windows xp and i cant seem to be able to access the hardrive will the windows partitioned hardrive work with linux? it just has some mp3's on it, if so how could i access it? thanks for any help :D

Hi. First of all WELCOME aboard !

what i want to do is add a program to my start menu

Right clic the K-menu. You will see 4 options. One of them is something like 'menu-editor'. Clic it and add your entry to the K-menu.

also ive installed yahoo messenger but when i send a message i cant see what i typed and cant read what anyone else wrote,

No idea here. But you could try another client to chat with your friends using Yahoo-messenger. Search Google about one or http://freshmeat.net/ or http://sourceforge.net/ . Once you found one, try to install it from the software manager (rpmdrake).

i have a hardrive that was partitioned in windows xp and i cant seem to be able to access the hardrive will the windows partitioned hardrive work with linux? it just has some mp3's on it, if so how could i access it?

Was the drive in the machine when you installed Mandrake? If yes then you probably have an entry somewhere in /mnt (probably /mnt/win_c or something). If the drive wasn't there, you'll have to mount it in the Linux tree. Open the Mandrake Control Center (MCC) and clic 'mount point' and look at the options there. There will be one to mount partitions. Select it and configure the thing so that it mounts at /mnt/somewhere.

Come back here if you have problems!

Good luck

MOttS

Guest nick2003

Hi, thanks for the reply, ive got the hardrive working now and found a yahoo replacement but im not sure how to install it using the rpmdrake installer, the file looks like this : everybuddy-0.4.3.tar.gz thanks :)

To get you started while you're waiting for a Mandrake user to answer:

open a terminal (konsole, if you're in KDE)

su to root (at the $ prompt, type su - press return - enter the root password - press return),

your prompt should now be # - if it is, type urpmi everybuddy - press return (you might need to add the version of everybuddy, I forget)

I'd tell you how to do it with rpmdrake, but I haven't used Mandrake for quite a while, and I don't want to get the process wrong and confuse you.

Hi, thanks for the reply, ive got the hardrive working now

Cool. So was it at /mnt/win_c or you managed to mount it via the MCC?

I found a yahoo replacement but im not sure how to install it using the rpmdrake installer, the file looks like this : everybuddy-0.4.3.tar.gz thanks  :)

The important thing is the name of the program. Now you found that 'everybuddy' is a yahoo-messenger client. So there is some chance that this software was bundled with the 3cds. The best way to know is to open rpmdrake and search for it (everybuddy). If you find it then install it. The software installer should prompt you for one of your cds.

I'm asking you to do that because .tar.gz files are more compilicated to install than .rpm from rpmdrake so if you can find a .rpm, it will be A LOT easier.

If you don't find 'everybuddy' in 'rpmdrake' try to search at those locations:

www.rpmfind.net

www.rpmseek.com

One you downloaded the .rpm file, open a console, become root and install the software. That should look like that:

su

--enter your password--

urpmi everybuddy.xxx.rpm

MOttS

Guest nick2003

Hi , yep it was in the /mnt, got the sound card working now thanks, i also found the rpm file of the program but cant seem to install it i followed the directions, this is the name of it everybuddy-0.4.3-3.20021017.2mdk.src.rpm i log into root and put urpmi everybuddy-0.4.3-3.20021017.2mdk.src.rpm but it gives me this error unable to access rpm file [everybuddy-0.4.3-3.20021017.2mdk.src.rpm]

error registering local packages

you don't want the src.rpm, until you're a little more familiar with what is going on. The source version allows you to compile the program yourself, similar to the tar.gz you had earlier. You want the precompiled version, which would just be:

program-version.rpm

Guest nick2003

cant seem to find one without the source code, i decided to just use the gaim that comes with the os cause i got an account with that - i was wondering if u guys ever had a problem with linux before, i been using windows for a long time and just got tired of all the bugs and stuff, have you every had a program like say not responding and ur pc crash with linux or it never crash's?

I've been doing this for 25 years, and I've yet to come across a computational device I couldn't crash somehow or other (including sitting on my slide rule and accidently stepping on an abaccus).

So yes, Linux will crash. However, generally what will happen is that a particular application will crash, and it won't bring down the whole system like it does with Windows. Also, using SysRq (do a search for more info) you can shut down gracefully from most crashes even if they seem to lock up the entire system.

Guest nick2003
I've been doing this for 25 years, and I've yet to come across a computational device I couldn't crash somehow or other (including sitting on my slide rule and accidently stepping on an abaccus).

So yes, Linux will crash.  However, generally what will happen is that a particular application will crash, and it won't bring down the whole system like it does with Windows.  Also, using SysRq (do a search for more info) you can shut down gracefully from most crashes even if they seem to lock up the entire system.

ok thanks :D

cant seem to find one without the source code

A little search on http://www.rpmfind.net/ for 'everybuddy' and got that:

http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/sear...ubmit=Search+...

HEre is one .rpm (not .src.rpm). Sorry .. I should have told you about .src.rpm

ftp://ftp.rpmfind.net/linux/Mandrake/9.1/...7.2mdk.i586.rpm

Install it as follow (AS ROOT!):

urpmi everybuddy-0.4.3-3.20021017.2mdk.i586.rpm

MOttS

Guest nick2003

Hi, thanks again for all your help, i finally got it to work, what i was doing wrong was i was going to the start menu thing and going to that console, so instead i went to the desktop where the file is and works great, thanks again! :D