Keyboard layout is not being stored

Guest dash

Hi,

I'm pretty new with Mandriva, but have already used many other Linux distributions earlier.

I use Mandriva 2008.0 x86_64 with KDE 3.5 and my problem is that the keyboard layout is not being stored.

I set it up in the Control Center of Mandriva (German, no dead keys, Logitech iTouch) and then it works. But it works only as long as the system is running. After a reboot the keyboard layout is reset, I don't even know to what. @, umlauts and some other keys simply do not work. They do not produce other characters as you would expect if it was set to another layout like English, but simply don't produce anything at all.

If I open the Control Center and go to set the keyboard layout again all the settings are still there, I click OK without changig anything and it works again.

I have also checked the xorg.conf which does not change. It is set to iTouch and everything, after booting, after changing the settings, everytime!

Second problem with the keyboard (though not as anoying as the other):

After setting the layout I can not use the volume controller on the keyboard, neither for kmix, nor for amarok. All the programs even recognize the keys if I go to set up the global shortcuts, but they do not react! Play/pause, stop, forward and backward keys are working flawlessly though...

I have not had any of this issues with Ubuntu or Gentoo. I hope somebody can help me, I would very much appreciate it!

Btw: Apart from this problems Mandriva is really great. :)

I know it is not a perfect answer, and I'm sure there is a simpler solution. But this may help you:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/fr/Personnaliser_le_clavier

I'm not aware of any translation, but Babelfish or Google might help in this area...

Yves.

Thank you for the answer. I took a look at the wiki, using google's translation tool.

However, I think there should be an easier solution. Fact is: It already works, but the settings are not correctly saved somehow. It shouldn't be necessary to map keys manually.