dial-up problems and shareing over router.

VeeDubb

I want to say first, I realy did search the forums and didn't find my answer.

First problem: I can't connect to my dial=up ISP when I make my own connection, but I can when I use the mandrake control center to connect. I have coppied every setting exactly but what happens is that when I try to connect it dials and connects, but none of the applications i.e. web browsers and the like can tell I'm online. When I use the mandrake control center to connect, it all works fine.

Since it's realy inconvenient to was throught the control center, how do I get to that connection more simply. (from KDE, not a prompt)

Second problem: A good link would be fine here. My experience with netowrking has always been with Windows. Whitch, though flaky and unreliable, is very simple to set up. Let me explain my set-up to you and you explain to me (or give a link) the way you would explain it to an idiot or a child.

*Mandrake box as my "gateway" using a dial-up modem on ttys1with one eth card

*One router. has one "WAN internet" port and 4 "LAN" ports`

My big questions are how do I figure out what IP's and domain names and things to use, and whitch type of port should I connect my mandrake box to? In windows what I had to do was hook my main box up to the LAN side so I could enter the default IP for the router and set it up (it's a wirelss router also) and then I had to discontct it and hook the main box back up to the WAN side and then enable internet connection sharing.

Also, I want to share the CUPS printer that is connected to my mandrake box.

I realize that a lot of this is realy basic stuff, but I could raly use the help.

How do you want to connect your lan? That for example could be

ISP <-> modem <-> ppp0 Linux eth0 <-> WAN router LAN ports <-> other PCs.

In this case, your linux box must act as a router performing network address translation (IP masquerading).The best place to start is the IP Masquerade HOWTO

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/

Your router can probably do NAT as well. If so, you may need to have two private networks. Say, if your Linux box eth0 has 192.168.100.1, then the router's WAN should be 192.168.100.2. The router will translate this IP to 4 other computers that are connected to the LAN ports and have IP addresses 192.168.0.*

Sorry, I forgot your first question. Check your default gateway. If it's eth0, then browsers will send packets to eth0 while you want them to send packets to ppp0. Post here outpus of

ifconfig

route -n

Both commands must be run as root. Run them before you dial in, and after you've successfully connected.

Okay, I've figured out sort of what I want to do.

I want to connect to the internet with the external serial dial-up modem on my linux box. I want my linux box as a gateway on the WAN side of my router making it's own litle network.

I want my other home computers, (two of them running two differnt OS's (for a total of three different OS's) to be their own litle network on the LAN side.

Here is how ti's all set-up now, and it's not right. Where's my mistake???????

My linux box has it's NIC IP address set to 192.168.1.1 and is successfully connected to the router's WAN port. I have also used drakconnect to set up my internet connection sharing from my modem to eth0.

My "home" PC's are set to DHCP IP addresses and successfully conneted to the router whitch is braodcasting IP's to them. Through them I can access the "internal" confiugartion of the router by putting the router's internal IP address whitch is 192.168.2.1

I should point out that from my past experience, this is pretty fancy router. Kind of cool actualy, the router has a fairly expansive web-interface for configuration with some nice pretty menus. I just open a browser on any computer ojn the LAN side and type in 192.168.2.1 whitch is the default IP for the router.

Here's the problem. I'm not sure how to configure the WAN settings in the router itself.

Here are the WAN options in the routers interface.

DynamicIP

PPPoE

PPTP

BigPond

StaticIP

EAch of these has all the appropriate options underneath it, but I dont' know what to do.

All I want to know is what is the best way to configure my conection.

I figured it would either be dynamic IP or static IP and not one of the other protocals.

If I select Dynamic IP, I'm asked for a hostname and an MAC address. I don't know what to put for either one.

If I put static IP, I'm asked for three things

IP address given to me by my service provider

Subnet mask (I used 255.255.255.0 everywhere else)

Service provider gateway address

I tried static using 192.168.1.2 for assigned IP and 192.168.1.1 for the gateway, but that didn't work.

So, tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Okay, I've figured out sort of what I want to do.

I want to connect to the internet with the external serial dial-up modem on my linux box. I want my linux box as a gateway on the WAN side of my router making it's own litle network.

I want my other home computers, (two of them running two differnt OS's (for a total of three different OS's) to be their own litle network on the LAN side.

Here is how ti's all set-up now, and it's not right. Where's my mistake???????

My linux box has it's NIC IP address set to 192.168.1.1 and is successfully connected to the router's WAN port. I have also used drakconnect to set up my internet connection sharing from my modem to eth0.

My "home" PC's are set to DHCP IP addresses and successfully conneted to the router whitch is braodcasting IP's to them. Through them I can access the "internal" confiugartion of the router by putting the router's internal IP address whitch is 192.168.2.1

I should point out that from my past experience, this is pretty fancy router. Kind of cool actualy, the router has a fairly expansive web-interface for configuration with some nice pretty menus. I just open a browser on any computer ojn the LAN side and type in 192.168.2.1 whitch is the default IP for the router.

Here's the problem. I'm not sure how to configure the WAN settings in the router itself.

Here are the WAN options in the routers interface.

DynamicIP

PPPoE

PPTP

BigPond

StaticIP

EAch of these has all the appropriate options underneath it, but I dont' know what to do.

All I want to know is what is the best way to configure my conection.

I figured it would either be dynamic IP or static IP and not one of the other protocals.

If I select Dynamic IP, I'm asked for a hostname and an MAC address. I don't know what to put for either one.

If I put static IP, I'm asked for three things

IP address given to me by my service provider

Subnet mask (I used 255.255.255.0 everywhere else)

Service provider gateway address

I tried static using 192.168.1.2 for assigned IP and 192.168.1.1 for the gateway, but that didn't work.

So, tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Yes, the "service provider" for your router is the Linux box. Therefore, the Linux box must accept connections of one kind or another. Eg, you have to run a DHCP server that supports DynamicIP, or PPPoE server or something like that... In the case of static IP, your Linux box probably has to run a Samba server to accept connections from the LAN. Say, if you were connecting a Windows PC directly to the Linux box, you would run Samba for that, right?

Once you set up Samba server on 192.168.1.1, static IP 192.168.1.2 on the router will likely do the job. Try 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.1.254 as a gateway address, I don't remember which one is right.