Installing KDE Themes

manly

I'm having trouble installing some themes from KDE-look. For example, I've downloaded the tarball fo the dotNET theme. I used:

./configure --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr

and then ran make install as root. It appeared to put everything in the right place (/usr/share/apps/kstyle/themes/), and all of the default themes are also in that folder. However, the new themes do not show up in the KDE Control Centre. I tried copying the themes to ~/.kde/share/apps/kstyle/themes, with no effect. How do I get KDE to recognize the new themes? I'm using KDE 3.1, and I'm having the problem with other themes as well.

Also, I installed ksplashmanager. It placed a .desktop entry in /usr/share/applnk, but MenuDrake gets it's info from applnk-mdk. Can I just move the entry to the right folder, and run update-menus? Or will that mess things up?

Thanks,

Andrew

From memory, some time ago, it seems many of the themes required part of the install as root, and a ./ xxxsh as user. Instructions after you untar the file usually located in an install or readme txt file, each seems to have it's own personality.

I now just urpmi my eycandy from texstar's repository Here it just makes the eye-candy life so much easier, icons, wallpaper, sounds, colors, suse and redhat widgets, lots of toys. :)

You can add the repository to your urpmi list by following the instructions Easy Urpmi - HERE , have fun and happy tweaking. :D

The kde control panel now becomes your new freind.