Kde/Gnome Hang

Guest MethodMan

Guest MethodMan

Hi

I read a similar thread on this, but it wasnt of much help.

I installed Mandrake 9.1, and was able to use it for a while. I then restarted the computer, login, and then it hands at the KDE 'initializing services' screen or Gnome Screen. The computer is processing vigoursly (hear noise), but it just seems to sit there.

I can get to the command link (I think I did ctrl-alt and F8 or something)

Anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks

Guest Joentje

You can switch to a virtual text console with the combination of control-alt and one of the Function buttons between 2 and 5. There is no virtual text console to be found on ctrl-alt-F8.

Hope this helps. You could also try booting in failsafe mode.

Try to boot to console mode and start kde by typing

startx

at the command prompt.

To boot console, at the linux start up, hit escape and type

linux 3

and hit enter.

Post what happens.

Guest MethodMan

When exactly do I hit the ESC key, after I select Linux from the screen, or while it is loading?

Also, I can get into Linux under IceWM (something like that), can I do anything while under that to try and get KDE or Gnome to respond?

Thanks

When the lilo screen comes up, hit escape. It will go to a command line sort of screen. Type

linux 3

(note the space)

Also, do you get any out put during boot up? There may be a problem with a service loading that can be seen, but Mandrake uses a "quiet" switch for some reason. If you edit the lilo.conf file, you can fix that.

Go to /etc/lilo.conf. You must be su to do this. Find a line that says

append="quiet"

Delete the word quiet.

Save and type

lilo

And reboot.

Guest MethodMan

About the ESC key.

So once the menu comes up to select between Windows, Linux, Floppy etc, I hit ESC there?

If I select Linux, and hit ESC right away it just goes to a blank screen.

I went into Linux, I am using LILO graphical boot, (after taking out quiet), and some text came out before it did its normal boot up.

As soon as you see the lilo boot screen, simply hitting esc should give you a black screen with the choices in text, and a prompt.

Guest MethodMan

I tried what you suggested, and it still hangs at the same point.

I exited Linux with a game running, since I couldnt exit it for some reason. I did ps, to see if I can kill it, but it didnt have a process id.

Could that have caused it?

Guest Joentje

At what point exactly does the hang situation occur. Did you get to boot into console mode OK (linux 3 in lilo). If so try looking into /var/log/messages

less /var/log/messages

Look at the end of the file by pressing:

Control-G

Near the end of this file you could see some errors pointing to the problem you're experiencing.

Guest MethodMan

The point exactly, when loading KDE 3.1 is, "Initializing System Services" thats theorange handled wrench. It never gets tot he globe, and then the splash screen disappears, and the watch stays there. The computer is thinking but it does nothing. Ive left it for about 5 minutes.

Guest Joentje

Okay, so it seems your system has booted okay, but the problem is when logging in. If your settings in KDE are not that important, just remove the .kde directory in you home directory when logging in in text mode from one of the virtual console. Next time you log into KDE, KDE will make new default settings for you. Hope this helps.