problems with ati radion 7000

Guest dlewhite

Guest dlewhite

i installed mandrake 9.1 and the test screen look but when i boot up the screen doe s not work my video driver is a ati radion 7000 32mb pci card any sugestions

I have the same card, and its quite happy under Mandrake. When you say the screen does not work, what exactly do you mean? Is there any display, or is it blurry? Also what settings (resolution/colour depth/monitor type) are you using?

(Tip: I used to have a problem, which was solved by switching the monitor off and back on again)

Guest dlewhite

i have done all the diffrent setting i have set is very low (640by 480/ bit 265 color and i have set then at very high settings at 1024 by 786 with 24 bit color and the screen would just go plank the install screen look fine that loading screen was fine but when it was time to use the gui it went blank :(

Right, definitely try switching the monitor off and back on. I know it sounds stupid, but its amazing how often it works. If that does not work press ALT + CTRL + BACKSPACE. This should restart the x server and hopefully fix things.

If that fails boot using failsafe, and boot WITHOUT the x server. Then login as root and type "startx". This will probably fail, but it should tell you why. So post whatever it says.

It's a bug in the new XFRee and certain ATI cards. I had the same problem with the radeon 7500. There's an rpm to fix it which you can get here:

http://www.zebulon.org.uk/

Follow the link that says "X crashes at halt/reboot/respawning with my ATI card" for instructions on how to install the rpm and a further link to the rpm download site. It worked for me. Hope it helps.

Guest mellobiafra

I had the same problem with my 7000VE. If you select Xfree 4.3 without the 3d acceleration...that'll sort your problem...as long as you're not interested in playing 3d games etc.

Guest kingul

My system is fitted with ATI Radeon 7000 64 MB DDR Ram.

It installed fine on 9.1 without any special settings.

Set to 1024X768 with standard defaults.

I refer to Mandrake 9.1 with latest graphics.

Motherboard is Gigabyte dual processor p3 450 cpu`s.

Standard ATX system with AGP graphics card as above.