Install wireless network card on Mandriva

mr_bubbles_rulz

So all i want to do is to be able to use the internet on my linux operating system - Mandriva. Whenever I go into the 'hardware' page, it has my wireless network card there, however, when I try to set up a wireless network connection with it, it is not an option for the hardware to choose from. The only thing it picks up is my onboard wired LAN. I have tried installing with the drivers but it just says 'there is no device that supports this driver'. What can I do? Plese, I am a newbie at Linux and I need full guided steps. I keep getting told to update ndiswrapper and try again - what the hell is that? how do i update? installation instructions?. Please, detailed instructions. I have a netgear WG311 wireless network card. Thanks again, anything is much appreciated

Not done it before but this is the start based on what i have read.

based on this

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/...etgear_WG311_v3

open a console

type

su

type in your root password

urpmi -v ndiswrapper

now get your file from

http://www.marvell.com/drivers/upload/MV-S800374-00.zip

unzip it to a directory and go to that directory in the console still as root

cd Inf/WinXP_2K

ndiswrapper -i mrv8335.inf

check if it is installed

ndiswrapper -l

now you can try this

modprobe ndiswrapper

now

iwconfig

If iwconfig lists a "wlan0" network interface with a whole bunch of details, then it worked.

then they say try this so it works on start up.

ndiswrapper -m

Give that a try..

Edited by michaelcole

I have a netgear WG311 wireless network card.

There are three different chipsets used in that card, depending on the version. Please open a terminal (konsole, if you're using KDE), and enter in the terminal:

lspci

then press 'Enter', and post the output here, so we can determine what chipset you have.

michaelcole, like i said, i am new on linux and you cant just expect me to do that in one hit...sorry. I'll have to go with what greg2 said. So greg2, what is a "terminal or (konsole, if you're using KDE)"? I have no idea what it is. How do I open it? Thanks, and sorry for me being so dumb lol. On XP im just fine, but linux, like I said...im new =)

michaelcole, like i said, i am new on linux and you cant just expect me to do that in one hit...sorry. I'll have to go with what greg2 said. So greg2, what is a "terminal or (konsole, if you're using KDE)"? I have no idea what it is. How do I open it? Thanks, and sorry for me being so dumb lol. On XP im just fine, but linux, like I said...im new =)

AHH real new..

ok

Start menu

System

terminals

terminal program

OR

goto

Start

Run Command

now type in

konsole

Now type in

su

now type the root or administrator password when it prompts for it.

Now you can do all those commands above.

No problem being new we all were one day..

Edited by michaelcole

lol thanx, i will report the findings back in say...30 mins? thanks again. ps - i will have to download them files on xp coz obviously, there is no internet setup on the linux. thanx

I will try to help further today but i will be leaving the office in the next 30 Mins..

And not sure if i will actually get to this post later today..

I will read it tomorrow and help further if you need...

Regards..

to michaelcole, I followed your instructions and this is what I got -

[mr_bubbles_rulz@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost mr_bubbles_rulz]# urpmi -v ndiswrapper
getting lock on urpmi
getting exclusive lock on rpm
No package named ndiswrapper
unlocking rpm database
unlocking urpmi database
[root@localhost mr_bubbles_rulz]# /home/mr_bubbles_rulz/Desktop/MV-S800374-00/CB-35P_3_1_1_7_Release/infWin_XP2K
[root@localhost mr_bubbles_rulz]# ndiswrapper -i mrv8335.inf
driver mrv8335 is already installed
[root@localhost mr_bubbles_rulz]# ndiswrapper -l
Unknown line at line 2389
install.ini : invalid driver!
mrv8335 : invalid driver!
netw311t : driver installed
setup.exe : invalid driver!
setup.ini : invalid driver!
wg311tn5.sys : invalid driver!
[root@localhost mr_bubbles_rulz]# modprobe ndiswrapper
[root@localhost mr_bubbles_rulz]# NOTHING HAPPENED!?
bash: !?: event not found
[root@localhost mr_bubbles_rulz]# iwconfig
lo		no wireless extensions.

eth0	  no wireless extensions.

[root@localhost mr_bubbles_rulz]# didnt work! =(
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `

to greg2, i typed in lspci and this is what i got -

mr_bubbles_rulz@localhost ~]$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Unknown device 0756 (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] PCI-to-PCI bridge
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS965 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 48)
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev 01)
00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
00:05.0 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 182 SATA/RAID Controller (rev 01)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] PCI-to-PCI bridge
00:07.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] PCI-to-PCI bridge
00:08.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless (rev 03)
00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV42 [GeForce 6800 XT] (rev a2)
[mr_bubbles_rulz@localhost ~]$

can I do anything else? thankyou...

looks like your database is not correct go to this page and select the defaults for your computer then copy the lines into the terminal.

Using su of course

https://mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php

so once you have gone to the page you will end up with 4 lines like this

urpmi.addmedia main http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/...ia/main/release with media_info/hdlist.cz

cut each full line starts with urpmi ends with hdlist.cz

open terminal Konsole, type su, type in password, paste line press enter and wait.. may take a while each line.

If you have a slow connection you may want the compressed version of this info it was a little check box before the last click. Press back. and try with the compressed selected.

good luck once you have done these four you will be able to try the other lines again.

Looks like you did exactly what you were meant to do. Your doing well as a starter..

the lspci was correct but i'm not sure what greg was looking for..

Also reading it further down the list the ndiswrapper is installed but it cannot see your device.

and i can see it in lspci.

00:08.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88w8335 [Libertas] 802.11b/g Wireless (rev 03)

This is the same card as the webpage we pointed you to..

Edited by michaelcole

and i can see it in lspci.

from the other site try this

If yours does not list a device present, then you may need to explicitly instruct it to use the driver using this command:

ndiswrapper -a devid mrv8335

Replace "devid" with the PCI ID or the USB ID of your card, in the form XXXX:XXXX. To get those numbers, run the command lspci -n (for PCI cards)

we nee to find the full dev id of your card.

lspic -nn

the nn gives the number and name.

then type the command replacing the devid...

su

ndiswrapper -a devid mrv8335

modprobe ndiswrapper

iwconfig

try that..

getting late now here i will try to be about..

Edited by michaelcole

looks like your database is not correct go to this page and select the defaults for your computer then copy the lines into the terminal.

Using su of course

https://mandrivausers.org/easyurpmi/index.php

The OP doesn't have an Internet connection. :rolleyes:

@mr_bubbles- If you can't temporally connect to the internet with a wired connection, this is going to be a bit difficult for you. Difficult (because you're new to Linux/Unix), but not impossible. :)

I don't have the time to write instructions (that would make any sense) for you right now. However if I find the time later today or tonight, I will.

Maybe michaelcole could modify his instructions to include downloading the ndiswrapper tarball, kernel-source.rpm, and the marvell driver, on another system. Then transferring to yours, and setting up, if he has the time today. :)