How do i start a kde-session from shell for ANOTHER user?

qeldroma

Aim is to start up a workstation without XDMCP-Management, menaing without KDM/GDM/XDM/MDKDM.

I don't need them, am the only user. How do i start up a KDE-session with a specified user from root (init)?

I tried to do it like this:

su TheUser --command=startx

This fails with the error, that i am probably not owning the console i am doing this.

How do i manipulate this? How do i substitute "X &; startkde" to an user?

I guess you have to log in a linux shell as the user you want (Press CTRL-ALT-F2 for instance and log in). Now startx as follow:

startx -- :1

Now go in your new X session by pressing CTRL-ALT-F8. The original X session is at CTRL-ALT-F7 (the one that starts automatically at boot).

MOttS

I think you may find valuable ideas in this thread: http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=4673

Adapt it a bit, and you should have a working machine.

Just an idea, to put in /etc/profile (which, according to bash's man page, is "The systemwide initialization file, executed for login shells") on the server:

currentD=$(echo $DISPLAY | sed 's/^.*:([0-9]*).*$/1/')

if [ $(currentD:-0) -gt 9 ]; then

( $HOME/.xinitrc || /usr/X11R6/bin/icewm ) &

fi

It is not tested. It's just roughly the idea.

Yves.

Thanks but i was too fast, solved it on my own :mrgreen:

Following my /etc/X11/prefdm:

#!/bin/sh

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

HOME=/root

export HOME

# We need to source this so that the login screens get translated

[ -f /etc/profile.d/10lang.sh ] && . /etc/profile.d/10lang.sh

# trap SIGTERM to be able to kill autologin

killed () {

kill -15 $!

exit

}

trap killed 15

X -ac & sleep 2

export DISPLAY=":0"

echo -n $! >/var/lock/subsys/dm

su - MyUser -c startkde && ps aux |kill `awk '/X / {print $2}'`

exit 0

I added automatically closing of X with kde-shutdown.[/code]

...Just an idea, to put in /etc/profile (which, according to bash's man page, is "The systemwide initialization file, executed for login shells") on the server...

The right syntax should be:

if [ ${currentD:-0} -gt 9 ]; then

with '{' instead of "("

But that will be buggy if you login when you already are in X (ie: "su -"); I think I don't understand why If you actually have a DISPLAY would you want to start it again.

I suggest another control level, to check if you are already in X or not (you can do it also with $(tty) instead of $TERM):

case $TERM in

*xterm|rxvt) :;; #Do nothing, we are already in X

*) YOURCODE;; # We are at VT and we want to go into X.

esac

That will also be buggy if we log into a VT when there is already an X session used on VT7 (display :0)

So my advice will be not to put such code in /etc/profile, unless you develop it a little bit more to include checks for letting bash know which is your environment and wich X-VT are free to start them.

The right syntax should be [...] with '{' instead of "("
Yes, you're right ! I typed too fast :oops:
But that will be buggy if you login when you already are in X (ie: "su -"); I think I don't understand why If you actually have a DISPLAY would you want to start it again.
Actually, I don't start X again; just the window manager, and optionnaly additionnal apps. It is a kind of follow-up to the thread I refered to. In this thread, we discuss a remote X display via only SSH (no XDMCP). The process is to start X (nothing else), then login via SSH with X11-forwarding, and then remotely start the window manager.

You can recognize this setup because SSH creates a proxy-display for the user on the server; this proxy-display is "localhost:10.0" or further.

But my previous post was crude at best, and I know it. It needs refining. But I know that qeldroma is a capable person :)

Yves.

Oh, my script fails in a special way:

When i am starting it DIRECTLY, it works well.

After having booted, i can manually switch "init 5" and it does. But when i am Restarting the machine in "init 5", the dm-service fails, the screen flashes some times, i can see the X, but after the 4. -5. flash, i am back to console.

Waiting some seconds and starting "prefdm" manually works then again?!

I suggest you to do a little of debugin to your script to see what does wrong; start your script using the -x or -xv flags and redirect the stderr to a file:

#! /bin/sh -x

exec 2> /home/username/debug-$(date +%s).txt

or if you want to be more polite:

#! /bin/sh

exec 2> /home/username/debug-$(date +%s).txt

set -x

Check "/home/username/debug-XXXXXX.txt" after each scenario to see what (or if something) makes the difference in your script