Help! [solved]

battybill

Can somebody help me please. I am a Mandriva Linux newbie. A friend of mine persuaded me to let him install Mandriva One 2008. But now he's nowhere to be found and i am lost! I need some help with the following:

1) Do i have to install EasyUrpmi and if so how?

2) I can play CD's using Amarok but there's so much interference that you can barely hear the music.

3) There is an orange ball with a question mark in it on the task bar and when i put my mouse/pointer over it i am informed:

No medium was found. You must add some media through "Software Media Manager.

Would really appreciate any help and advice to get me up and running with Mandriva.

Welcome to Mandrivausers.org!

Make sure your internet connection is live. If you have dsl or cable, it is live all of the time.

At the top of this page is a link called "Easy Urpmi." Click on it.

Read and follow the instructions. You are probably using "2008" and "i586." Don't worry about understanding these terms, just select them and click "Proceed to step 1."

The next choice is servers from which you will get files and updates. Pick a server near you geographically. Your profile is blank, but your local time is 6 hours later than me, so you are in Eastern Europe or Africa, maybe the Middle East. When is doubt, nluug is always a speedy server. (Even for me!) Select "main," "contrib," and "updates." Also select a "plf-free" and a "plf-nonfree" repo. Proceed to step 3.

Open a terminal. In the terminal, type "su" and press enter. Enter your root user password and press enter. Type "urpmi.removemedia -a" and press enter. Copy and paste the entire text that was generated on the urpmi web sight for you. It will do stuff! When it stops seeming to do stuff, press enter one more time.

In a few minutes, the little orange ball will tell you that you have updates (probably a lot of updates) Install all of them, and then we'll tackle the sound problem.

EasyUrpmi is indeed something you are advised to use. It is not something to be installed though.

You have to go the EasyUrpmi site (see link on top of this page), then select "2008.0", your architecture, "urpmi", and go to step 2. There I advise you to select the top 6 checkboxes from the "Official" group (all except "*_backports"), and all checkboxes from the PLF group, with mirrors near you preferably using the "rsync" protocol.

I usually enter "2008.0-" or something like that as the prefix, but you're free to differ.

Step three gives you a list of commands you have to copy and paste in a console window (Konsole, or Gnome-terminal, or XTerm...) as root.

To become root in a terminal window, type "su - root", and ENTER, then type root's password.

Be carefull with line breaks when copying-pasting.

Yves.

[edit:]Ixthusdan was faster. And his advice is more complete than mine :)[/edit]

Edited by theYinYeti