USB camera as file system with supermount

Guest WildChild978

Guest WildChild978

Greetings,

I'm running MDK9.1 and have a PENTAX Optio 230.

HardDrake detects the camera and I am able to mount the camera manually through DiskDrake.

However I want to make the camera (or more precisely the CF card inside) mount automatically whenever I connect the camera to the computer and turn it on.

I have attempted to do this through FSTAB with the following entry:

"none /mnt/removable/ supermount dev=/dev/sda1,fs=vfat,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0"

and have created a link on my desktop, but there are several issues:

1. the first time I open the link after switching on the camera it gives the error message "unable to enter this location: you do not have access rights to this location. Hitting OK and trying again will allow me to access the camera.

2. switching off the camera does not always unmount the FS. It will successfully unmount perhaps 3/4 of the time.

3. switching on the computer with the camera already connected will result in HardDrake prompting for configuration files to be updated.

Does anyone have any idea about what can be done to fix these problems?

Help me Obi Wan. You're my only hope.

WildChild978

I'm not really sure there is a way for supermount to mount it for you when you plug it in. I could be wrong though.

There's a program called "Kwikdisk", which is something you can put in your KDE taskbar, just simply right-click on it after you've plugged in your camera (or turned it on), and select the path to your camera, and it will be mounted. (and do the same to unmount it) At least this way, you don't have to type it in every time.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but at least it's something to try in the meantime.

Guest WildChild978

I'll take a closer look at Kwikdisk. Thanks for the tip. This really only works around my original problem though.

In any case, supermount does work, it just needs a bit of prompting by trying to access the device. Actually the more I test it, the more I think I know what's happening. Supermount MOUNTS perfectly the first time, but does not UNMOUNT properly. I'll do some more testing, but I'm pretty sure this is what's happening.