Mandrake 8.2 : Hardrake problem on new PC

Guest kragn

Guest kragn

Hi,

I am new here. I just started working with Mandrake a year ago. Not much progress except doing Mandrake installations. I started with Mandrake 7.1 then 7.2 . Recently I installed 8.2 from a new Madrake commercial distribution I bought at Bangalore, on my new AMD 2000+ Athlon XP with ASUS A7N266-VM motherboard and PC2100 DDR 256 MB RAM , 40 GB Samsung Hard Disk , a PCTEL HSP56 k Micromodem, onboard sound and onboard nVidia GeForce2MX graphics. Monitor--Samsung 763 DFX Flat monitor. Everything works with Win 98SE on the other partition . In Linux this is what I faced:

1.The graphical installation went fine till I ran Harddrake ! Within seconds the screen went black and Mandrake never came back. This happened every time I rebooted and went into Harddrake from KDE. Any suggestions without asking to buy 9.1 are welcome.

2. The modem does not work. No driver . Also country code for India is not listed in the linmodem listing . What do I do ?

3. Sound is not detected, I don't know where to look for the driver.

( I tried the same distro on another older AMD ATHLON 850 MHz , DFI AK-74 SC motherboard - it worked just great. Only the HSF Conexant Winmodem is still a problem. I'm still to try out the new linuxant drivers. Same problem. What is the country code for India?)

I don't know the country code for India, but when hardrake gives you a black screen have you tried to hit Ctrl-Alt-F7 ? I have the same problem with harddrake crashing kde or gnome and all I have to do is hit Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get it back with harddrake still up and running. If you don't see your desktop on Ctrl-Alt-F7, try Ctrl-Alt-F8 or Ctrl-Alt-F9