gurpmi always deletes downloaded packages

Guest RedBear

Guest RedBear

I consider this a huge screw-up by the Mandrake team and I have no idea why it hasn't been fixed yet: both urpmi and gurpmi delete all downloaded packages from /var/cache/urpmi/rpms either after installation or whenever there is a messed up download. It's insane, or at least it almost drove me insane, especially when I was stuck on a dial-up line. Having to download 90MB of packages 6 times over because the download kept screwing up and the packages kept being automatically deleted was maddening!

I fixed it by editing the urpmi script and setting the noclean variable to 1, and setting up a global alias to map urpmi to "urpmi --noclean" just to be sure. I still have to remember to go "fix" the urpmi script every time it gets updated. But this "fix" doesn't seem to work with gurpmi. I tried to fix it the same way but it appears to be a compiled binary, not a script.

I so completely do not understand Mandrake's reasoning for this "default to automatic deletion" everywhere. It would be fine if there were an option in the graphical tools to turn that off, just like "urpmi --noclean", but of course there isn't. Is there some config file somewhere or some other way to modify gurmpi's behaviour? It's these *little* things that are always the most aggravating...

Or maybe there's some better way to make sure all downloaded packages and updates get saved so I can use them on other machines? I certainly can't do it with the graphical RPM tools until I figure out how to fix gurpmi.

normally when an install of files fails for me, it asks me if I want to delete the files or not. I've never had it just delete them in the case of a failed install. however, when the install does work, deleting the files sort of makes sense. they're not of much use anymore once they've been installed, no?

however, when the install does work, deleting the files sort of makes sense.  they're not of much use anymore once they've been installed, no?

yup but it would be good for those on dial-up connectoins if there is an option to save the downloaded files then the better (especially if you fubar your machine). :#:

i am planning to do it via rysnc (donwload first then just upgrade) but for some reason my rysnc doesnt work as expected. :(

ciao!

When I use rpmdrake and it can't download a package, it gives me a choice of keeping them.. but I agree, it should always be up to the user to delete the packages. One reason I can see them doing that is because new users may end up filling their rpms directory with old rpm's and not realize what is happening.

Guest RedBear
When I use rpmdrake and it can't download a package, it gives me a choice of keeping them.. but I agree, it should always be up to the user to delete the packages. One reason I can see them doing that is because new users may end up filling their rpms directory with old rpm's and not realize what is happening.

I've been using Linux for like a couple of years now and Mandrake for about 6 months, so I've got a sort of intermediate degree of familiarity with the system. But I've never had it give me any sort of choice about deleting or not deleting the packages, either when it's done or when something screws up.

The only choice I've seen is "Oh, something screwed up with this package, would you like to continue installing other packages?" Usually the most of the rest fails too, due to download problems or dependency problems with the first package that failed. But if it actually gave me a choice not to delete the packages it wouldn't be driving me nuts.

I recently noticed there's a shell variable "CLASS" that for regular users seems to be set to "beginner" and affects various things (what all does it affect?), but that shouldn't affect things that are run as root, like RPMDrake, right?

I'm seeing a lot of agreement here that the auto-deletion is a bad idea, but I see no solution. And again, I've never seen either MDK9.0 or 9.1 offer me the option of *not* deleting the packages after installing. No ideas out there? I could go as far as compiling a custom version of gurpmi from source, if I knew anything more than some simple shell scripting.

• 2 months later...
Guest maximum

i can't understand why it works this way?is it an efficient method or what?do we have to download again and again the updates for each system or each install?at the same, this tool does not support broken downloads or resuming.actually,that is reason why i want to use, easy to fix the dependencies problems..that's all :?

at some point and time someone *ahem*anon*ahem* should be moving the iso i made of updates for mandrake up to...what was that date...well, sometime in the past week to the ftp servers here. the directions i wrote are rather vague....in the next update i'll make better directions. anyways, that may be helpful for people who need to use the updates on multiple machines with different configurations. of course, it's a pretty large download (329mb) so....

i am using the rsync way so i dont loose the downloaded files. just rsync one of the update sites to say /vault/rsync/updates/ and just create an update urpmi source from it.

if you need one package so badly then you could download it separately (using an accelerator like prozilla, or from somewhere else that has a faster network) and then just copy it /vault/rsync/updates.

ciao!

Yeah, I see plenty of use for keeping them.

First off I have multiple machines and I want the same updates on each.

Second there the reinsall cos I just FUBAR'd everything argument too.

It was annoying me till I ftp'd the whole of texstar and downloaded the ISO from plf but I'd rather not have it delete them.

Also occaisionally a server is down on my urpmi list which has a dependency for something so the whole thing falls over when maybe i just needed a 64 byte contrib. I'd set my sources to check the local rpm cache first then look on the internet to see if later versions exist.

Another potentially useful use is if you screw your internet connection and you need the rpm for your modem !!

tyme:

I could ftp your updates if you like and I'll forward it to anyone in Europe if they send me a stamped addressed envelope and blank CD. (presuming they aren't just too lazy to use their own broadband)