No Sound

CrackedLCD

I have NO SOUND when using the Mandriva Live CD. I'd like to eventually install Mandriva, but I had issues with sound that LAST time I installed it and I'd rather not go through with an installation unless I can get this fixed first. How can I force Mandriva to use my Soundblaster as the default sound device rather than my Intel integrated sound card?

:wall:

It really doesn't matter what Soundblaster card he has. The problem is some screwup in 2008 that keeps insisting on using the onboard sound even when it is not wanted and even disabled in the bias. The work around suggested by Mandriva does work but In my opinion is totally unsatisfactory when it requires adding lines to files and so on. Newbies least of all should not be subjected to this kind of nonsense for something that always worked perfectly in 2007-Spring.

I discovered the problem still existed in 2008.1alpha. All the talk about the new sound system is no excuse for this kind of stupidity.

The problem of no sound doesn't seem to exist when no addin audio card is used and only onboard sound exists.

Cheers. John.

Sorry to say , sound works perfectly for me in Mandy2008/Cooker. It's installed in a Virtual Machine, and the (virtual) soundcard is emulating (guess what?) a Soundblaster16. Of course, its the only soundcard visible (and its not a real one!)

So, comments like

It really doesn't matter what Soundblaster card he has...

are entirely inappropriate, John... and sorry for that.

The setup you are using is unlike what most people would use. Most of us wouldn't know what a virtual machine is let alone how to set one up .

My comment refers to a normal everyday setup..

We don't all have your geek expertise. :D :D :D

Cheers. John.

The setup you are using is unlike what most people would use. Most of us wouldn't know what a virtual machine is let alone how to set one up .

I agree with John. I had this same issue with Kubuntu 7.04. Anyways, I'm not THAT much of a newb, so I can cope with adding a few lines here and there. :P

Anyone care to point me to where this "workaround" is?

Thanx.