data cd's working but not music cd's?

Guest flowerdragon

Guest flowerdragon

I have a strange problem. I'm running of a new clean install of 9.1

If i have a data cd in my dvd drive things work fine, but when i have a music cd in there it says "could not enter directory /mnt/cdrom"

if i try to access it from console, i get "bash: cd: cdrom: Input/output error"

any ideas?

In linux, music cd is not mounted. You cannot mount a audio cd. All you have to do is run a cdplayer program and press play. (of course you need the program to point correct cd device, such as /dev/cdrom or /dev/cdromX [X is the number]). It's not a bug, it's just the way it is :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, sorry MottS, I just looked at the link that you posted, and it confused the hell out of me (not hard).

When I first started using mandrake, it took me ages to work out what was what.

as far as music cd's are concerned, at first I couldn't get them to play, but after loosing (more) hair, I found out that my install of 9.0 by default, calls my dvd player "cdrom" and my cdrw "cdrom2".

If I use either of these two names, I get diddlysquat.

And for just playing cd's I avoid xmms like the plague - it's way too confusing to find the path to the player.

So, too play music I use either kscd or grip.I have then got to find out what else my devices are called. In my case, the dvd is cdrom, but it's also "hdb". Whereas, the cdrw is cdrom2, but it's also called /dev/scd0. In kscd, I then open the tools facility, and configure it so it is pointing at /dev/scd0 and I get the music. With grip pretty much the same but just click on the configure tab and put in the correct device name.

And that's where my confusion was. The flourdragon will have to find out what their devices are called and also, because of that old cherry of linux needing the soundcard/device to be connected to the cdrom/dvd/cdrw/hdb/scd0 or whatever, then they will have to suss out which one has the audio connection (possibly both?).

Perhaps one of you experienced types could tell flourdragon what the command is to get the device names - I stay well away from the "white mans magic" that is known to one and all as "command line input"!

regards

John