Samba and FTP

Guest gg4

Here's what I want to do. I want to set up a mandrake box which will be connected to a windows computer. The mandrake box will have an ftp server set up on it. Basically, I want to create a secure box from where I can access my files from home (another windows comp). I would create a script on the windows box to run at logoff to update the files on the ftp server. However, I want to be the only one to be able to access the files on the server.

How would I set this up?

However, I want to be the only one to be able to access the files on the server.

Not sure, what you meen...

You need to decide first, whether you wish to use samba or ftp, if you see what I mean...

Samba allows to share filesystems. You can mount your linux home dir as e: device of your Windows pc, and, say, edit and save MS Office files directly to the linux box, or vice versa. There is no need to copy files from one computer across to another. In contrast, using FTP, you download files from the server and then have to upload them back.

In samba, you can restrict access to your files to particular users from particular subnets. With ftp, you must be only user who has permissions to read/write your files (root will be able too, though, and you don't have anonymous ftp user, of course:)). BTW, sftp is more secure.

In the situation, there are 3 computers. The first one is the windows box with the stuff I want to be able to access at home. The second in the mandy box with ftp and samba. The 3rd is a computer in a different location that is on a different workgroup as the other two. From this one, I want to be able to access the ones on the first. However, direct access to the first isn't permitted so I have to use the middle linux box as an ftp server to hold the data.

Ok, so it's

WinPC <-> Linux [samba & FTP server] <-> remote computer (No 3).

Since you run samba server, you can mount Windows HD to the Linux box. This file system will then appear to linux as a subdirectory in your home dir. You should be able to ftp files to it from the remote PC.

Yes, you have my idea correct.

That's what I was looking for... Thank you.

Also, would it be possible to send files from WinPC to the samba server/ftp box through actions on the WinPC?

Basically, I am trying to establish my own VPN through a linux box.