How to install mandriva 2008 into RAID drive?

Guest Ares Lee

Guest Ares Lee

I have a RAID0 with 2 HDs.

I want to install mandriva into the RAID.

I have the RAID driver, but I have no driver disk. Who know how to create a RAID driver disk?

Thx :wall::wall:

what type of controller do you use, some raid-controllers are supported directly in linux, have you already tried if your controller gets detected, some raid-controllers can be used in linux, but not in raid-mode, is it a s-ata or p-ata controller ?

btw, if it is an onboard-raid-controller, you could just as well install a software raid directly under linux, since these controllers are no real hardware-controllers in most cases.

If it is onboard raid then you have to go into the bios and activate and set it up. If you don't then whether you have a raid driver or not will make no difference. Mandriva will install AOK on a Mainboard based Raid system and does not need a windows type driver, it already has what is necessary to work with Raid.

It is not necessary to assume that Windows concepts are needed in Linux. They are not the same.

I have regularly installed Mandriva on Raid0 (Onboard SATA II ) and have never had to do a single thing, just carried on as if there was only one HD. It will be no different for IDE drives.

You are looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist in Mandriva and all based on your Windows experiences.

Cheers. John.

Two ways.

First, if the BIOS allows configuring it, do it here - it's software raid essentially anyway. Sometimes however, the operating system (Linux) Mandriva or whatever will still see two disks instead of seeing just the one disk. If this is the case, then Mandriva or whatever doesn't have the module you need compiled into the kernel.

Second way, of your system sees two disks when using BIOS RAID, is to disable the BIOS RAID since it isn't working because you've not got the module. Then when installing Mandriva, go into advanced partitioning, and you can then set up the raid array how you want. There is a post about software raid that I wrote a while back. Take a look at this. My first method was using the command line to do it, but someone else added that you can do it by using the gui and advanced partitioning like I just mentioned. You will have to choose custom partitioning though before this I think.

John mentions Mandriva has it. Technically it does if you just use software raid and ignore the BIOS stuff. However, it won't necessarily have everything you need if you are using the BIOS RAID because it depends on the kernel having the module for your hardware - which really isn't always the case and an assumption you should never make. This is not a dig at Mandriva, it's generally related to the kernels. It should improve over time.

Guest Ares Lee

Thanks all. I'm keeping on searching.

Hi ianw1974:

Can you give a link about the article you written? I can't find it. PS: How to go into advanced partitioning?

Thanks again.