Wine & WineX questions

Guest Supah_Rob

Guest Supah_Rob

Hello everyone.

I have Mandrake doing pretty much everything I wanted it to do as far as basic functions, so now I am branching out. There is a windows program I pretty much CAN'T live without and there seems to be no Linux equiv program. That program is called PowerTAB (its a sort of musical notation program for guitar, but anyway).

Since I HAVE to have that program, someone told me to install Wine, and that after that I could use other windows programs as well. Then I found out about something called WineX, that apparantly would let me play games.

So I have some quick questions. Since I wont be doing too much game playing (but I will do SOME) am I better off sticking with Wine?

What are the differences between Wine and WineX?

How hard are these programs to install and setup (I am very much a "newbie" to linux)

How do I install Windows programs after I install Wine or WineX?

Basicly, what am I getting myself into?

Thanks (and sorry if these are dumb or just plain tired questions)

Rob

Wine is a program that translates Windows APIs into Linux APIs, so that Windows programs can still run. For various different reasons, this is not an easy task. While Wine can manage to run quite few apps well under Linux, not evyerthing will work.

WineX on the other hand is a version of Wine produced by a company called Transgaming. They wanted to create a version of Wine just for playing games, so they concentrate on the parts of the Windows APIs that affect games.

Wine is open source, but WineX is commercial. You can still get WineX for free but you have to compile yourself that could be tricky.

If you can get hold of a copy, or compile it, I would try WineX first. I have generally found that it is easier to get things working. Wine will run more apps but is harder to get going.

Hello everyone.

I have Mandrake doing pretty much everything I wanted it to do as far as basic functions, so now I am branching out. There is a windows program I pretty much CAN'T live without and there seems to be no Linux equiv program. That program is called PowerTAB (its a sort of musical notation program for guitar, but anyway).

You might want to take a look at kguitar:

http://kguitar.sourceforge.net

Here's some other guitar software:

http://www.linux-sound.org/guitar.html