A Couple of Problems

Guest Tally Lassiter

Guest Tally Lassiter

Before griping, I want to say that I love Mandriva despite the following problems and I have had the most success with is of any Linux distribution.

I am using a Mandriva Flash Drive (2008.0 and 4GB) to boot from on an intel iMac (the earlier Core Duo model with 1GB RAM) though I don't believe any of the problems are iMac specific except for the sound one (which I couldn't fit in the title) and plausibly the internet one.

KDE Menu:

When using the default menu style, I have duplicates of both the "Find" and "Recent Items" submenus. I cannot find a way to remove them as the "Menu Editor" application only applies to the applications contained in the KDE menu.

Internet:

I went through a great deal of hassle to get my Airport Card working but managed to after a while and now have it so that Mandriva can detect and connect to (though only when manually configuring both the TCP/IP settings and DNS servers) the wifi station (which is a Linksys router/base station with a built in firewall). The internet however is incredibly slow, typically in the single digits of Kb/s. I have read the many threads already in these forums and accordingly disabled IPV6 and TCP scaling by editing modprobe.conf, network.conf, and sysctl.conf amongst others and have had no result.

Updates:

I have had no problems adding "Official Source" mirrors (meaning chosen by the button labeled that way when first setting up) but upon attempting to add "Distribution Updates" (or maybe "Distribution Sources") it always fails to connect and displays a "curl" error saying something about "state 23" or "state 24" and failing to connect. If, however, I use the "Official" mirrors I can add the chosen mirror and begin to update. This update fails about midway through saying the updates could not be found and displaying an identical "curl" error mentioning "state 23" or "state 24." Upon switching to wget it fails to be able to add any sources saying that it could not connect and mentions a wget "error 1."

Sound:

What driver is necessary for sound on an iMac? Could I just use ndiswrapper on the driver burned to a Boot Camp drivers CD?

afaik ndiswrapper is only used for wireless network devices, I don't know if it can be used for sound diveces, but I don't think so.

Maybe you could try the Intel HDA driver, since the new Macs seem to be mainly built on Intel Hardware

the wget and/or curl errors could be timeouts because of your internet connection problems, have you tried how it works through wired network ?

When using the default menu style, I have duplicates of both the "Find" and "Recent Items" submenus. I cannot find a way to remove them as the "Menu Editor" application only applies to the applications contained in the KDE menu.

I've never seen duplicate entries, (other than when they appear at the top of the menu as recent or frequently used) but the place where you can change these items is kcontrol/Desktop/Panels/Menus.

Jim

Edited by jkerr82508