Huge tmp folder

dude67

I just had a closer look at what my HD has "eaten" and realized I have a huge tmp folder. That tmp contains only one notable folder: kde-dude67 with the size of 34,6 GB! In that folder I have two very large folders in it: ark5DEZfz (16,1 GB) and arkXeFDBv (14,9 GB).

What are these folders and do I really need them? In windoze I'd just delete the contents of tmp or temp folders, but I never thought that KDE or Gnome would collect a very large temporary folder.

I'm currently using Gnome, but I have KDE installed. I use KDE very seldom, but do so every 2 months or so. Should I just delete the tmp folder and it's contents, or would that lead to problems with KDE?

It doesn't seem to have somthing to do with KDE itself.

Are you running Beagle?

It has the very bad habbit of leaving monstrous temporary files (till next reboot) and colossal logfiles- also several GB long. (which are permament, unless cycled via a cron task).

Edited by scarecrow

Actually I was running Beagle, but just killed it. It kept the system slow and didn't quite see any point in using it. I hopefully also managed to stop loading it in the next boot.

OK, if it was Beagle, I would be able to delete the folders safely then?

Exactly what daniewicz said: I have /tmp folder (containing some tmp files but not taking that much disk space) and then I have /home/dude67/tmp folder that is taking huge amounts of HD space.

There are quite a few folders and files there and I'm not really sure what they are. Some folders are named "keyring-xxx", most of them are named "virtual-dude67.xxxx", but the ones taking the most spece are the two folders under /home/dude67/tmp/kde-dude67. The two big folders contain some temp tar files (judging by the names of the folders: temp_tarGjMn9R and temp_tarRjylbb).

I did already delete the whole kde folder (freed some 34,5 GB HD space), but what are those keyring and virtual folders under the tmp folder?

I cleaned out my /home/steve/tmp folder without any problem. I had about 11 MB in there. :unsure:

I think you should be OK deleting all files in /home/dude67/tmp. To be safe, you could move the files to a folder on your desktop. If your system functions well with the files in this desktop folder, then they can be safely deleted.