group users

Michel

That is a really good observation, and I'm also wondering why redhat like distros do that.

In my slackware pc when I create a new user, the default is to belong to the users group. But in mandrake all the new users belong to their usersname group.

But the most surpising think is that WHILE according to the man page of adduser, the defaults are set through /etc/default/useradd, where:

~# cat /etc/default/useradd 

# useradd defaults file

GROUP=100

HOME=/home

INACTIVE=-1

EXPIRE=

SHELL=/bin/bash

SKEL=/etc/skel

~# grep 100 /etc/group

users:x:100:

SO per default new users should be part of the "users" group, BUT they actually are:

~# adduser foo

~# groups foo

foo : foo

If I have some time, I'll look deeper into this question, and try to guess why useradd doesn't use the default settings :?

By the moment, check out this link: http://www.redhat.com/[...]/admin-primer/s...sgrps-proc.html

though it doesn't explain why creates a new gruop with username, at least explains the proccess.

I guess that is a security feature (newuser:newuser + umask 002), but I don't see which advantage is over something like newuser:users + umask 022

Ofcourse you can add your users to the "users" group if you wish

Before adding users, look at userdrake's configuration (in GUI), there's a drop-down list (IIRC) where you can select the default group (if any, else a new group is created for each user) for newly created users.

Yves.