opera segmentation fault

aRTee

All of a sudden, opera refuses to start.

I didn't change anything, (welll, did install the vera bitstream fonts)..

Can't start from the panel. Ok, then from a Konsole:

$ opera &

[1] 4514

[robert@zurich robert]$ /usr//bin/opera: line 138:  4516 Segmentation fault      "${BINARYDIR}/opera" "${@}"

[1]+  Exit 139                opera

So I look in /usr/bin/opera, it's just a script that starts /usr/X11R6/bin/opera which also segfaults.

Then I do

su - testuser

[testuser@zurich testuser]$ opera &

[1] 4461

[testuser@zurich testuser]$ java: Disabling java due to potential dangers. If you know

what you are doing, you can set the environment variable

OPERA_FORCE_JAVA_ENABLED to '1' to override this.

Start Opera with '-debugjava' argument for more information.

and everything is fine. So now I'm running opera as this testuser (after copying over my settings, so I didn't even have to log on onto this board..

BTW searched with google and on some forums, all I could find is one guy who had managed to fix things by deinstalling and reinstalling. No go for me....

Even if I do a mv .opera .opera.old it doesn't help....

There is probably some setting wrong somewhere, but I don't know where.

(env variable?)

(I also tried gdb opera, but no debugging info is present...)

Any hints?

If you are using a version prior to 7.1, you are encountering a problem that many have found fixes for and none of them have worked. I could not resolved it and became involved in the latest 7.1 beta released by opera. It's stable enough to work fine. I would simply upgrade..

If you do upgrade, I suggest you totally remove all reference to opera from your system. Do any rpm uninstall and then search for opera files and delete them. Save your old .opera folder so you can import mail/contacts/bookmarks.

Well, interestingly, I did the following:

I logged on onto the console and started another x-session, and did a gnome-session.

Then started opera. Voila.

Then started a kde session as another user.

All ok.

Even with my .opera/ copied to that user.

So the difference must be somewhere in my kde settings stuff.

I will first try to delete all those settings, then see what happens.

(For my website it's actually nice to start all over, then I can keep track of all the things to change to get where I am now in terms of KDE config...)

But if that should fail, I will do as you advice, and thanks for your comments. (BTW current version: 6.12 mdk with shared libs)

Had the same SEG-FAULT today in 7.1....so I thought....what is different this session as opossed to last.....I downloaded a bunch of stuff from art.gnome to ~/.opera/download. So I moved everything out of the download folder leaving it empty and the SEG-FAULTS are gone. :roll:

Thanks for that link to that thread,... tried, didn't work (at first it did though).

Had 2 serious crashes.... no way to even ssh into my machine.

I think these were my first true linux crashes....

Since all works fine under another user, I just migrated all from my account to another user account, then did a mv on my account, copied all the stuff from this new user account, then chown/chgrp the whole thing and logged on.

Opera is working fine now. If this happens again, I'll figure out how to setup moz (or phoenix or whatever) to work as I like, and use that...

Fixed is maybe not the word, howabout: getting it to work again by working around things in a nasty way...

And no, if I turn on java, it doesn't want to be turned on (risk of instability), and when I start from commandline, it just tells me it turned java off.

However, you can run it with java on, just give the proposed option upon start (from konsole)...

opera will print out that message in a terminal until something like this;

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01

export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/usr/lib/qt3/lib/

export OPERA_FORCE_JAVA_ENABLED=1

is put in a X startup script, or the best place is in ~./.bashrc. Adjust the versions and paths accordingly.