New Computer running Linux

Guest dsears

I am currently running w95 with the usual assortment of win and dos programs and am considering a new computer with Linux as the OS rather than Win XP. Will I be able to transfer and run the current dos and win programs ( msie, word, excel, access) in the new machine??? Also, will it be possible to update and run any of those win programs in a new Linux machine??????

Were I you, I would shrink the Win95 partition to a small part of your hard disk, then install Linux on the remaining space. Be aware that if you want to set a share-data partition readable both by Linux and Win95, this partition should be FAT32 (FAT32 is the same as VFAT) (or FAT16 -same as FAT- if Win95 does not read FAT32).

Next, when all is setup, look here for a start:

http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/viewtopic.ph...p?p=30351#30351

And you can always ask for details is there are some things you'd like to know.

Yves.

Don't expect any windows or DOS programs to run under linux (for the same reason they wont run on say a MacIntosh). There is a program called wine that may run some windows programs but don't count on it. Just so you know.

On the other hand, Linux comes with a lot of software that perform functions similar to windows programs. There are email programs, and internet browsers, word processors, and spreadsheets.

Whatever you do, if you need some functionality of windows, then make sure you keep a windows partition around somewhere to fall back on.

Glitz.

• 2 weeks later...

Do some research first using Google or hunting around at freshmeat.net and sourceforge.net. You need to seriously assess what it is you MUST use from Windows on Linux. Alot of people name Access and other Win-only apps but they really don't ever use them. Decide what you can't live without and find alternatives for linux. The good thing is, most open source equivalents to your favorite programs are as good as if not better than your windows apps. The only exception is Photoshop. The Gimp is the linux equivalent, and it's very flexible/powerful but the interface sucks until you get used to it.