Processes not shutting down at reboot or shut down

edwardp

Over in the Art and Design forum, I started a thread about the bootsplash not appearing at startup. Now that the bootsplash is appearing as it should, it seems to have caused a new problem.

Specifically, when the system is preparing to restart or shutdown, several of the processes will now not shut down:

• display manager
    atd
    ntpd
    mandi daemon
    CUPS

After it shuts down shorewall, the system again tries to shut down the above processes. Some will successfully shut down by displaying [OK], the others will display [FAILED]. Where this is only occurring as it prepares to restart/shutdown, is this something to worry about or can it be ignored? Upon restarting, whether from a cold or warm boot, these same processes start up fine.

Edited by edwardp

I've seen failed processes before in other distros, namely smartd service but never had problems because of them failing to shut down in time. The failed might be because it didn't shut down in a timely manner, or that it was shut down *dirty* as in killed if it was taking too long. Of course, usually better that they shut down cleanly. Check if you need updates for your system.

/boot/grub menu.lst

timeout 10
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
gfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/gfxmenu
default 0

title linux
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-desktop586 BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/hda1 resume=/dev/hda3 splash=silent vga=791
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-desktop586.img

title failsafe
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/hda1 failsafe
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img

title desktop586 2.6.22.12-1
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.12-desktop586-1mdv BOOT_IMAGE=desktop586_2.6.22.12-1 root=/dev/hda1 resume=/dev/hda3 splash=silent vga=791
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd-2.6.22.12-desktop586-1mdv.img

Prior to fixing the bootsplash issue, menu.lst looked exactly the same as above. I simply went into the Control Center and set up the boot method again, which fixed the bootsplash issue.

Edited by edwardp

The splash would have been fixed with the following:

splash=silent

the vga=791 just sets the resolution depth for the console windows but neither of these options should be causing you the service shutdown problem. You could edit grub and just remove these two one by one and see if it resolves the problem. But I expect it's some other side-effect that simply coincided when this was fixed. Although I could be wrong.

• 1 month later...

It's still doing it.

On rare occasions, one of them (ntpd) will shutdown successfully the first time.

The odd thing about this, is that 99% of the time, these five processes are listed right next to each other. I'll get all [OK], then five {FAILED] in a row (the above listed processes), then [OK] the rest of the way, until it tries to shut down those five processes a second time. This only occurs on Desktop 1, the slowest of the desktops.

Edited by edwardp

• 2 months later...