Establishing SMTP connection - Mandrake 9.0

Guest Proselytus Linux

Guest Proselytus Linux

Hi, all. I'm new to this board (and quite pleased to locate it.)

After a difficult install, I managed to get everything suitably running except smtp email delivery. I get "unrecognized transport protocol, could not send message" from KMail. I believe I have all the correct info, but maybe my formatting for either the "Name" or "Host" for the Outgoing Account in set-up is incorrectly (no examples in the manual).

Would anyone be kind enough to offer an example of these two fields? Any other related issues that I might be missing? In advance, tremendous thanks for any guidance!

Proselytus Linux

So you are trying to send email from Kmail and it is telling you something is wrong?

usually smtp server are set up like this: smtp.isp.com

or : mail.isp.com

or some variation thereof.

Can you give us more info as to what is going wrong and also what kind of ISP you are using?

Guest Proselytus Linux

I have the inbound email receiving from an internet pop3 email site. I attempted to send the outbound email through my ISP, but failed to obtain a connection.

Through my previously existing WinXP set-up email, I have a website and both pop3 and smtp. I am presently attempting to send the outbound SMTP emails over the same SMTP as my existing connection with WinXP. (The POP3 for the newer Linux PC, web-based email connection does not offer outbound SMTP.)

With the WinXP smtp (Yahoo) I receive recognition of the server from the Mandrake software, not so with my ISP. So I thought that perhaps it was just my "format" of the SMTP names. However, they appear correct: i.e. "smtp.website.com" with authotization for "email@website.com" and "password". Or?

BTW, thanks for the reply.

Proselytus Linux