Is this even possible??

Guest greeneggs

Guest greeneggs

Hi

I won't even begin to get into all of the problems I've had with MDK 9.0 & 9.1 and from having done a lot of reading, it seems I'm not the only one and it definately does have a lot to do with the XFree86 included with 9.1 (a different problem in 9.0).

My question is this. MDK 8.2 always ran flawlessly on any machine I had it installed on for months at a time. In fact, I'm sure it would have run forever had I not upgraded to successive versions. It seems that AFTER 8.2 things began going downhill (but don't take my word for it - read the posts on other boards).

Anyway, would it be at all possible for me to simply install my old boxed set of MDK 8.2 CD's and then simply use the built-in Mandrake update utility to get all the updates, bug-fixes and security updates that have come out since?. Of course, I would skip XFree and maybe upgrade to another version later. Would this work?. Do they still maintain the old 8.2 mirrors?.

Thanks

Of course, it is possible to start with an earlier release of any distribution and build your way up to the current release. It is a lot of work, but at what ends are you trying to acheive? If there is a problem in the distro, as you suggest, then you will introduce the problem at some point in time, as you build your way to the current files.

There have been several suggestions made that you should really try, and as I said in your other thread, you have a hardware issue. If my guess is correct, your time spent reinstalling various distros will not correct the mysterious problem(s). :lol: