Login less than 10 seconds - kicks back to login

edwardp

An update from a different distro trashed the audio. I then decided to install Mandriva 2008 One on the system (specs in sig below).

After installation, I logged in as root (which went through fine) to finish the updates and config the hardware (mainly the printer).

Upon a reboot (due to the kernel update), I logged in as the regular user, got a small box indicating that my last login lasted less than 10 seconds, then it sent me back to the login screen. There wasn't any last login as the regular user, it was the first! Upon logging in again, same thing.

What happened??? :unsure:

(edit) It could not find the "splash system" upon boot.

(edit 2) ~/.xsession-errors shown in above window:

/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...

/etc/sysconfig/msec: line 4: TMOUT: readonly variable

Edited by edwardp

This is usually caused by incorrect permission and user ID settings (debian based systems use 1000+ for user IDs in general, rpm based distros use 500+ as ID usually).

When you boot, hit ctrl+alt+F1. This will drop you to a command line screen. There, log in as root (type "root", hit Enter and give the root-password).

Once you are logged in as root, type

chown -R username:username /home/username

If this works without an error, log out by typing "exit", hit ctrl+alt+F7 and log into your system again as normal user.

I'm marking this as solved. :)

Apparently, information from the old distro was in my /home directory. Once I used the MLCC to delete the user and directories, then re-created the account, the login after this went through fine. To be sure, I logged out after 1/2 hour then logged in again.

The second login also went through fine, although it indicated it had a problem loading in the mixer applet, I selected not to delete it, but a CD is playing perfectly.

There seems to be something missing though. Why is Mandriva 2008 running unexpectedly fast on a 166 MHz Pentium system... :D