WineX 3.0 Final, and Point2Play Graphical Installer Released

WineX 3.0 is here

Issued on Thursday April 17, 2003

Overview

TransGaming is pleased to announce the release of WineX 3.0, dubbed "Milliway", giving our users access to more Windows games in Linux, with greater ease. TransGamers can now download the WineX in RPM, Debian and TGZ formats here. As a brand new alternative, the Point2Play graphical user interface is capable of downloading, and installing, both new and old versions of WineX. RPM, Debian and TGZ packages for Point2Play can also be found in the downloads section.

WineX 3.0 is the culmination of substantial effort over the past months to bring you many of the underlying technologies required for the next generation of exciting new games, voted for by our subscribers. We are pleased to announce that our users will be able to enjoy playing BF1942, SimCity 4, EverQuest and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault among the new titles WineX 3.0 supports. Additionally, this release heralds the arrival of WineX's new graphical interface, Point2Play; an exciting new way to simplify your Linux game playing experience.

Under the hood the WineX 3.0 release sports enhanced graphics capabilities with implementations of Vertex Shaders and Cube Maps, improved copy protection support, significantly extended installer functionality and a number of game speedups.

Enjoy!

New Features

* Point2Play graphical frontend is now available to help TransGamers manage multiple WineX versions, store configuration options and stop using arcane command line options and syntax.

* Hardware accelerated Vertex Shaders have been implemented. These are only supported on OpenGL drivers which implement the NV_vertex_program extension. The ARB extension will be supported in future releases.

* Copy protection support for newer, and several older, SafeDisc versions. Additionally SecuRom copy protection speed has been enhanced for some hardware configurations.

* Many installer-related issues have been resolved; starting installs with autorun.exe should now work in many cases, multi-disc installs should now have fewer issues with disc changing, and large installers are now supported. Additionally, significant effort has gone into making InstallShield 6 graphics update correctly and InstallShield 7 work.

* Render to Texture and Cube Mapping support implemented for cool texturing effects.

* The core threading model has moved to pthreads to decouple WineX from the continuing changes to certain core system libraries.

* Better handling of X11 Window Manager idiosyncrasies - WineX 3.0 does a much better job of going into 'full-screen' mode.

* Many texturing robustness fixes.

* A combination of optimizations should provide faster game play for some games.

* A new ALSA sound driver backend has been provided although it is untested at this point.

* Force feedback joysticks are now supported, but untested, on newer versions of the Linux kernel (2.5 series at this time or get the patch yourself at http://user.it.uu.se/~johannd/projects/ff/). Thanks to David Engle who kindly contributed this functionality. Unfortunately, TransGaming has not had enough time to do extensive testing on this new feature.

The detailed notes for the WineX 3.0 release are available @Transgaming.com

The documentation for Point2Play is available @Transgaming.com

Guest JaseP

Got it and will be trying it tonight after a LOOOOONG day at work (14+ hours). Tomorrow's my B-day and I'm going to loaf and play on Linux, and watch my new Back to the Future Trilogy DVDs on the PS2...

That and my wife has a trip to the store and laundry planned.

Got it and will be trying it tonight after a LOOOOONG day at work (14+ hours). Tomorrow's my B-day and I'm going to loaf and play on Linux, and watch my new Back to the Future Trilogy DVDs on the PS2...

That and my wife has a trip to the store and laundry planned.

Happy Birthday JaseP, so far I have been pretty impressed with it. Big change even from the prerelease. I can now get Ghost Recon installed and running, but still having problems getting patches and the other MODS/Addons installed. HL/Op4 installed without a hitch this time, and runs great, after copying over the windows "rundll32.exe" to the /home/user/TransGamingDrive/windows/system32 directory.

Winex 3 Finaly runs gta3, warcraft III and a bunch of other games perfectly and there Point2Play is good it makes everything alot easyer if you are new to linux. hopefully they will make it better maybe addin a graphical game launcher maybe even somethgin like battle.net where you could talk to other "transgamers" or whatever would be nice and see whos playing what games. It would almost make the mebership worth it. :)

Guest JaseP

Unfortunately, winex3 doesn't solve my problems with Imperium Galactica 2, or with Spider-Man (non-movie version).

I guess I'll just have to wait...

And thanks for the B-day well-wishes,...

Initially I had probs with getting Postal 2 running, but it turned out to be an incomplete installation, which I had to fix manually. C&C:Generals is suppose to work too now, but I am not much of an RPG Gamer. So I have not tested this one yet. On the other had some great news, HL/Op4 works now with out having to load another MOD first. I just setup the shortcut in Point2Play, and it works without any issues. SoF2, same thing.