What a Strange Problem...

Guest dcemulover

Guest dcemulover

Please look at this.

Post you suggestions here, not the Mandrake Club Forum. This one is better cause it is... FREE!

Please help me.

I am Caleb (one of the anonymous people) in the message. I normally sign my name in that forum.

Here is the second page.

Lot of bad advice... really :? Looks like the MBR can't find the correct partition where lilo is installed.

Since you did the default install, you need to check your lilo install to insure everything can be found..

Some things to try..

1. Go into bios and setup the default settings. Then restore anything you need to customized. Make's sure the default boot drive is hda.

2. Boot off CD1 and mount all partitions. Make sure yoiu can access each one and it actually has contents. This insures that nothing is wrong with the install. If possible mount all partitions as if you were using it. Means that cd / takes you to your boot partition. If you have to type cd /mnt to get their then all you have to do is type

chroot /mnt

to make the /mnt folder your new root.

3. On your boot partition, locate file /etc/lilo.conf. make sure it is setup correctly. The first line of the file should specify the boot partition. E.g. /dev/hda1 or /dev/hdb5 (whatever).

4. Make sure the reference to your default linux kernel actually point to real files. E.g. Do you have a /boot/vmlinuz ?

5. Run lilo..

/sbin/lilo

Should have

Adding Linux

Adding Windows (if you have it)

If lilo can't be found, make sure you have chroot to the correct directory.

6. reboot and see if things are working..

If you can't resolve this, then post your /etc/fstab file and /etc/lilo.conf file's. That will help us big time :)

Guest dcemulover

Thanks a bunch. I'll try it out right away... after my homework. :( Which means I'll report back within the hour. I'm printing your suggestions right now (cause I won't be able to look at them if I forget what to do). :D

Guest dcemulover

Is lilo on CD2!? :shock: I only downloaded CD1! :shock: The problem may be that lilo never got installed... :shock: Mandrake wouldn't do that, would they?

Guest dcemulover

It looks like this is going to be another one of those "greeneggs" problems. I'm referring to the fact that he has the strangest problems. :lol: The lol emoticon doesn't look a someone laughing (in my opinion... I looks like someone who is horny!). The mad emoticon looks like someone consipated.

Anyway, I just remembered seeing something when I started up Mandrake Linux (using the boot disk). It went through a checklist and everything was "OK" expect for lines. They both said:

Mounting Partitions: hs type 68 FAILED

It gave error message about hs type 68... I'll have more in a moment. I'm off to the "harsh" linux landscape for now.

cya back in WiNdOw$ :evil: ... :)

lilo is on CD1. Here's the path for ML9.1 unless your cdrom is called something diff;

/mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS/lilo-22.4.1-2mdk.i586rpm

You mentioned that you can boot with a floppy...can you still? If so, open a terminal (konsole,xterm,rxvt) and type;

cat /etc/fstab <hit Enter>

then

df -h <hit Enter>

ls -a / <hit Enter>

ls -a /boot <hit Enter>

Write down exactly what you see with all of these and post them please.

It would also be nice to see (have posted) the /etc/lilo.conf. For this, you'll have to be root so type;

su <hit Enter>

enter_the_root_password <hit Enter>

and type;

vi /etc/lilo.conf

To quit vi, type

Esc : q! <hit Enter> (this quits without saving)

Also, at the club you said

These were the mount points: 

/dev/hda1 = /mnt/windows 

/dev/hdb1 = nothing 

/dev/hdb2 = / (this is the one I have mandrake linux on) 

/dev/hdb3 = nothing 

/dev/hdb4 = swap

What does "nothing" mean exactly?...because the original post said (I realize you have the db switched)
/dev/hda1 = 12 GIG (For Windows System) (FAT32) 

/dev/hbd1 = 10 MB or something below 1 GIG(This is a boot partition or something like that.) (EXT3) 

/dev/hbd2 = 10 GIG (For Linux System and Games) (EXT3) 

/dev/hbd3 = 24 or 25 GIG (For Windows Games) (FAT32) 

/dev/hbd4 = 10 MB or something below 1 GIG(What's a swap cause this is one.) (SWAP)

You say hdb1 "This is a boot partition or something like that (ext3)"But the first says hdb1 is nothing.

Of course, all of this could be beside the point because in normal/most situations lilo should be installed to the MBR. If lilo or grub is put on anything else they will not be found. They seem to be found but something is not right. Then again, maybe things were not installed to /boot.

You could boot to CD1>F1>type rescue <hit Enter>choose mount your partitions under mnt>then choose go to console, and type

chroot /mnt <hit Enter>

/sbin/lilo -M /dev/hda

This does the following (from man lilo)

-M master-device [ mbr-file ]

Install a Master Boot Record on the device specified as  master-

device.  The new MBR is copied by default from "mbr.b", which is

built into /sbin/lilo (version 22.3), unless a specific file  is

named  as  the  second argument.  The primary partition table on

master-device is undistrubed.  If no  device  serial  number  is

present, then generate one and write it to the MBR.

If lilo wasn't installed, you would not be getting that error message; it would boot directly into windows. Do you have any removable usb storage device, eg. zip drive, card reader? These have been known to generate that type of error message. You can also try to restore lilo by booting of install CD1, hit F1 at the splash, type rescue at the prompt and choose restore lilo from the menu. After that follow the on screen prompts. Also, which flavor of windows are you running.

Just to make sure I explained it ok..

When you run lilo, you are running lilo off of your installed partition rather than the CD. In order to access it, you need to tell linux (after booting) that you want your partitions to be in charge. You do this with the chroot (change root) command. After this command, the contents of your CD are unavailable.

So..

First you boot off of CD1, hit F1, and type rescue.

At this point you will get a menu box. If you are using an older version of Mandrake (8.2 and below), you will go straight to a prompt.

If you see the menu, try doing a reinstall of lilo, reboot and see if your problem is fixed. If not, come back to this step and select Mount your Partitions.

If you don't see a menu box, immediately type chroot /mnt (read text on screen, will tell you to do this).

Now type..

cd /sbin

ls lilo

Do you see a lilo? If not, then type chroot /mnt because the menu option didn't do it. Check again..

When you can see the lilo program, try running it..

lilo -v

for verbose mode. If you get errors you have to follow my prior instructions to figure it out.

Guest dcemulover

Ok, this was the second time I booted into linux. I am so glad I am spending time on this cause linux is SO COOL! 8) Anyway, I "fell" (:oops:) asleep and woke up at the linux console screen (actually i got a blanket and went to bed in the chair...). :) I somehow managed to copy the files that cannonfodder wanted correctly to a floppy. In linux, it kept saying that it "couldn't write" to the floppy... so, I had to go to the console. It wouldn't even let to the folder where lilo.conf was stored. :evil: :) This is what the FSTAB file says:

/dev/hdb2 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hdb5 /mnt/games vfat defaults 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows 68 defaults 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hdb3 swap swap defaults 0 0

Here is the lilo.conf file:

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

vga=0x0122

default="windows"

keytable=/boot/us.klt

nowarn

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hdb2

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="quiet devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux-nonfb"

root=/dev/hdb2

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="failsafe"

root=/dev/hdb2

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="failsafe devfs=nomount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"

read-only

other=/dev/fd0

label="floppy"

unsafe

other=/dev/hda1

label="windows"

Since I "fell" asleep right after my last post, I didn't see all the rest of yours. I will try everyone's suggestions soon (within 2 hours). Also, I my previous post I mentioned an error message. Here is the exact message:

Mounting Local Filesystems: mount: fs type 68 not supported by kernel FAILED

Mounting Other Filesystems: mount: fs type 68 not supported by kernel FAILED

Also, someone asked what I ment by nothing. I mean I didn't specify a mount point, so it doesn't have one. I changed this. Now, /dev/hdb1 is the only "nothing" mount point. Should I change this, too?

cannonfodder: The chroot command works fine, so no need to worry about that. I was having a "LITTLE" trouble because the WINDOW$ and linux commands vary just a "LITTLE"!!! Thankfully, linux has a help file (even though it was a "LITTLE" confusing).

Guest dcemulover
If lilo wasn't installed, you would not be getting that error message; it would boot directly into windows. Do you have any removable usb storage device, eg. zip drive, card reader? These have been known to generate that type of error message. You can also try to restore lilo by booting of install CD1, hit F1 at the splash, type rescue at the prompt and choose restore lilo from the menu. After that follow the on screen prompts. Also, which flavor of windows are you running.

I am running the ME "flavor" of Windows. :mrgreen: I have tried reinstalling LILO, reinstalling Mandrake, reinstalling Window$, and installing GRUB. I don't have any removable usb storage devices. I have a USB mouse and 2wire PC Port. On the Mandrake Club Board I ask how I could get mandrake linux to recongize the 2wire PC Port. Linux thinks it is a scanner!!! It is really a home networking device. See my posts at the Mandrake Club board for more info.

I wonder if this recent post at the Mandrake Club Forum is right...

I had a similar problem. Only the error code number was different. I think mine was 90 or 09--hard to tell when they are strung out in sequence. 

Your BIOS prompt indicates you are using a Dell computer. I assume you have some version of Windows XP installed. Are you using Boot Magic? It can cause this kind of problem if the MBR gets messed up. 

Try this. 

Boot from the Windows XP installation disk. In the first set of instructions after Windows loads, you have the option of using the Recovery Console to repair Windows. Hit the R key. When the Recovery Console comes up, type in the number of the drive on which Windows is installed (normally 1). Then at the new prompt, type fixmbr and hit enter. Disregard all the warning messages. Type Exit and reboot. On your next install of Mandrake choose the option to install the bootloader on the first partition of the root drive. I actually create a small /boot partition. When you finish the install, check the final bootloader configuration to see the it has not been loaded in the MBR. 

That did it for me. No problems since. And I do use Boot Magic.

I use Goback 3.0. It starts during boot... I wonder... brb