Upgraded from 10.1 to 2008 and now won't boot

Guest Mark D-B

Guest Mark D-B

I installed 2008 Powerpack this morning as an upgrade to 10.1, because I wanted to run Rosegarden (and am off work with a severe cold and needed something to do).

I've stuck with 10.1 up 'til now because there was nothing I needed that I couldn't get by building from source or installing rpms as required.

All appeared to go smoothly with the installation, which took about 3 hours.

However, on reboot I get multiple udev warnings to do with probing 'tape'.

/etc/rc5.d reports errors and appears to go into some sort of legacy mode.

It then gets as far as starting the HAL daemon, then waits for about 20 seconds before opening the DVD drive. After that, it hangs, regardless of whether the I insert the distro DVD or not.

The list of errors up to this point is different if I boot with the old (2.6.8.1-12) kernel, but it still stops at the HAL daemon.

Alt F3 appears to show that it couldn't find either PCI or ISA.

My machine is a bit old - Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard, 512M RAM, Diamond Stealth (S3 Savage) AGP video, Safecom wireless (uses the TI chip that you to have use ndiswrapper to run), Yamaha sound card and WinNov Videum. However, I wasn't expecting anything to be so old to be no longer supported.

It dual-boots either Windows 2000 professional or Mandriva on a 60G hard drive with multiple partitions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (particularly as my brain isn't working properly because of the cold!).

>>>>>>>>>

More info: Whilst appearing to have hung, it hasn't quite. Pressing return causes the DVD drive to open again.

Also, Ctrl Alt Del switches to run level 6 and yields a clean reboot.

>>>>>>>>>

Found someone else who had same problem upgrading from 2007

http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=...926186b423201e0

Investigating .....

Edited by Mark D-B

Download a Mandriva One (live-cd) to backup any important data and files first. Then do a fresh install of Mandriva 2008 again. It should be faster this time. You may also use the One live cd to install Mandriva 2008.0 if you like.

There's nothing wrong with your hardware. It's just there're too many differences between 10.1 and 2008.0, usually nobody would suggest you to upgrade normally from a distribution version so old. Especially when you have built and installed many softwares from source, which might break dependency. Upgrading also takes a lot of time than normal install. Installing Mandriva 2008.0 from One with my 24x combo drive only took less than 15 mins.

If you have / and /home mounted at different partitions, you can just reinstall Mandriva without formatting /home and keep all personal data untouched. That's my way of "upgrading" Mandriva. ;) I've "upgraded" from 10.2->2006->2007->2007.1->2008 without too many problems.

Edited by yochenhsieh

Guest Mark D-B

Thanks for that. I'd actually already tried a second install of 2008, but going from 10.1 to 2008 isn't the problem. It's this issue with hardrake that's on the link in my second amendment.

Guest Mark D-B

This issue is now resolved.

There seems to be a problem with 2008 where hardrake will try to load a new driver for hardware not found at install time *before* the CD/DVD is recognised. This is maybe a udev problem?

Anyway, the work-around is to skip hardrake using interactive mode and then find/fix the problem later (graphics, in my case, which is my task now!)