re install kde 3.2.2

mudfish

hello there,

ive messep up my kde and after successive retries on bringing it back get paid off.but after i get to the desktop.most of the programs wont run anymore even mcc wont start.my firestarter firewall would say bus error when i tried to launch its gui but when i check its status via console it says it is running.my question is.can i re install kde without reconfiguring my network and other settings?.i am running mandrake 10.1 as a router/gateway on my lan.is there a system restore in linux as there is in windows xp? :unsure:

thanks.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

It would be helpful if you listed the things you have tried a reinstall might not be needed. Just in case you haven't tried resetting your desktop to the default. Start a konsole session and type: mv .kde kdeold press enter, then log out and log back in again. Anything you wish to retrieve can be found in your kdeold folder.

i havent tried resetting it to the default.when u say start a konsole session and move the kde folder to a new location did u mean using my account or being as root?does it guarantee that it would not alter my network configuration and settings as well as my firewall configuration?if i do that would mcc and all the applications that ive installed would run now?im a bit hesitant doing this as i am on a learning curve and this is the server of our lan so i wanna make sure i can bail out easily if this fails.hope you understand. :mellow:

Hi Mudfish. To my knowledge there's nothing within Mandriva that lets you do a system restore... not be default anyway. That's a great windows concept, but not included by default with this distro...

That said, like most things Linux, there are even better options than windows if you are willing to hunt around. Unfortunately I have no advice to help you now, except back up your old info and reinstall kde (gasp! Shock! Horror! Linux people... forget I mentioned reinstall). For next time however, particularly if you are into tweaking your computer, here are some great options:

1. Mondo - great little program in 2007.1 and 2008.0 repositories (not sure about Mandriva 10.1) that lets you restore everything in any configuration you want. If I went back to windows I would probably do it with Linux on a small partition alongside windows so I could use Mondo. Highly recommend it.

2. Rsnapshot - never used it, but makes differential backups of your system contunually, thus creating very easy restore points. sounds like a great idea.

3. urpmi-recover - neat little tool which keeps track of all the packages you install, and lets you rollback what you've installed to a certain time... I think the two above are better, but this is useful too.

Good luck.